• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weight Gain

I have a Brittany I purchased him from Ben's Brittany's Last year he was the rut of the litter. Great dog but he will not gain any weight. I have been feeding him Diamond brand I got from Ben the day I got the pup. The vet said he 100% ok nothing wrong. I leave his food bowl full he will eat 3 or 4 times a day. any other brand to use? You can see his ribs if you look. We go for walks everyday plus train 3 days a week on my grandpa's farm for hunting.

If the vet says he looks good, why the worry?

A lean hunting dog is much better than one with added weight... Even if you change brands, schedule feed him once or twice a day. If they understand that food is not always available they will eat more and hold their weight better.

Lots of good other brands of foods, it seems there is a big following on NutroSource on this forum... maybe try that. Ultimatley your dog will decide what is best for him.

Good Luck!

Ken

your dog is young, most aren't fully mature until 2-3 years old. Most dogs finish growing height wise by 10 mons. but may put on weight as late as three. My female lab just turned two and she put on 5 lbs for no reason. just maturity. 5 lbs on a dog is like 15 to us. Be happy your dog is healthy. Only thought i'd have is worms--but your vet said it is fine. I'm sure all is well.

I feed diamond puppy to my GSP. He is 7months old and huge!

But he is lean, and very well toned. He is not overweight by any means just a big dog. We run roughly 15-25 miles a week, and I have been very happy with the results from Diamond.

If the dog is healthy I would not worry.

I have a 10 year old Vizsla that is very skinny, has been that way since he was a puppy. I have tried everyhing to put wieght on this dog and nothing has worked. He is healthy, and can run all day so I don't have any concerns. If your dog suddenly loses or gains wieght thats when you should worry. If he doesn't seem affected by it, I wouldn't change a thing.

I am glad to here your pup is doing well. Ike the sire of your pup ran pretty thin until he was over 2, he then put on some weight and he was still pretty thin. I have switched most of my dogs over to Black Gold performance blend, and Ike has gained a little more weight, I don't know if it was the food or his age that caused this gain. I don't remember which dam is the mother of your pup?

If you have any other questions or if you want to discuss this further just give me a call, or shoot me an e-mail: kentucky_ike at yahoo (Contact US Regarding This Word)

Ike (Ben)

It was Ike & Babe parents,It may just be me but one thing is I have a dog that loves to find birds. This last season he found 20 pheasants, 6 Grouse , woodcock (lol) ,5 Huns. Not bad for only 8 months old.Rock solid points I never trained him to block the birds from running if they started to move.