• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lab with ear infection??

Johnny_Namakan

I tried to find previous discussions about this but wasn't able to. My yellow lab has been shaking her head a lot lately. I haven't seen her scratching at it at all. My Mom watched my dog for a day last week and she said she appeared to be trying to rub her left ear against the ground to scratch it. Neither ear is red inside at all. I noticed her shaking her head a lot early last week so i bought some ear cleaner because I thought she may have had wax build up. That hasn't worked at all. She's still shaking her head a lot. I'm probably going to bring her in on Thursday, but I remember a vet once telling me that I could use vinegar and water to get rid of ear infections instead of bringing the dog to the vet everytime. Is there any truth to that home recipe. It was a couple of years ago that I was told this so my memory may be failing me. Thanks in advance!

My dog get that because he ha a low ear setting. the air doesn't get in there and he gets a build up. i just squirt a little rubbing alchol in there and let him shake it around. then i take a piece of toilit paper and stick it on my finger, then get it in there are far as i can. it gets rid of the gunk. he shakes his head because he is annoyed. he is also in the water alot and that can get trapped in there to. that is all i do. saves me an expencive trip to the vet for some expencive medical mumbo-jumbo...my two cents...

Jp

I just returned from seeing our vet, i have a 17 month old yellow lab and he said the itching [yeast infection] in her ears could be from allergies from the dog food she is eating or allergies from dust or dust mites if your dog is in the house especially during the cold months, now i will try a different kind of dog food and hope this works, i have tried all the drops, and wiped her ears to no avail.I wonder if dogs can get allergies from eating their own [PoorWordUsage]?i have noticed that my dog only eats her [PoorWordUsage] when i feed her purina brand and doesnt when she eats diamond brand strange.

Lots of good comments. Do check for the ticks. The ear infection can be quite bothersome for you and the dog. You may see goopy stuff and get the smell and you may not. I had a dog who got this ear infection and we finaly had to take her back in and have them irrigate and flush the ear. Her ear looked clear to us but deep inside there was a bunch of crud. Some broke loose and was a bit bloody. Once it was cleaned we could medicate and that worked quickly.

Jonny, i have used the vinegar and water treatment for years. works great! I got my recipe from an old retired vet in chamberlain, sd. I make mine just by site but i think it was actually (approx) ABOUT 1/4 vin. 3/4 water and a tad bit of rubbing alcohol. i know it doesn't add up but i can't remember exact amount. I just have a baby food jar and eye ball it. the alcohol should be the least with water being most.

We were told by our vet that it was from a food type allergy as well. We quit giving cheap treats like "Snausages" and the like and haven't had the problem since. Now if we could just keep his head out of the trash can. Grrrrr!