• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

UL Rod Selection

WildBill33

Either a Quantum Xtralite XP Series or a St. Croix Premier are tough to beat for the price. A high quality rod at a reasonable price. Both rods have excellent components and outstanding feel.

In an ultralite, the Quantum Xtralite XP runs anything from 5 to 6.5 feet, and it comes in a 7 foot light action as well. The 6 footer is a good multi-purpose rod.

I have a St. Croix Avid 5', Cabela's ProGuide IM6 5' and a Gander Mounter Guide Select IM7 7'(all ultra lights) For the money the Gander rod is great and it works well for really casting the little jigs far. The St. Croix is definately the nicest but the only reason I bought it was because Reeds had if for 50% off at the time. Pretty spendy otherwise.

I really think if you go with any decent rod it will do the job for you.

I've got an Okuma Connisuer that I picked up for about 23 bucks, 7 ft UL, love it for free casting jigs and bettle spins. Even better as a bobber rod for making long casts on clear water, allows for a good hookset. Whenever an accident bass comes along its really a great fight on the light gear.

WildBill33, I don't see the real need for ultralight rods. They are a bit whippy and wimpy when it comes to setting the hook and fighting the fish. Sure they are fun to use and try and bring in fish but I tend to use Light, Medium Light or even Medium rods (depending on the situation). I like the quick response tips for instant hooksets. One of my favorite rods for all around use is a 6'ML Berkley Series One. I also like 6'6" or 7' rods for making longer casts and for different fishing situations.

I know it's hard to put down the UL rods but try and use the listed type of rods and you'll have more success on the water.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

I recently picked up a St.Croix 6'6" UL premier spinning rod. Used it for the first time this weekend and was very impressed. The UL action is soft and a little "whippy" but I could really cast light jigs with no trouble. Hooksets should not be a problem, use SHARP hooks and touch them up on occasion and with most pannies they have fairly soft mouths comparied to a walleye etc. I dont see the need to cross there eyes so to speak on the set. Furthermore most of my panfishing is in fairly shallow water, not a lot of line between me and the fish. What i really liked about the St.Croix was the excellent feel and balance the rod / reel had witht the light jigs I was using. JMO smile.gif

JR