• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Training Permit?

schaapj

Hi everyone,

Just curious on wether or not I need a dog training permit to train with live ammo and live birds (purchaced) on private land. Also, does the moritorium on DNR administered lands from April 16th to July 14th apply to private lands as well? I keep getting the runaround from the DNR offices (usually no idea of what I'm talking about) and I can never get ahold of the CO for the area (either on the phone or doesn't answer).

Thanks in advance for your help!

-schaapj

I do not think it matters when you are talking about private land.

I know I got yelled at by some horse riders last year in a County Park for training before the bird nesting was done.

I just received permission to train on 108 acres of really nice rolling hills with a little bit of water and I will not worry in the least about it.

The other area we train on is also private but it is used for nothing but training dogs and no it is not a retriever club. That question never comes up when we are at that location.

GOOD LUCK & HAVE FUN!!!!!

Hope this helps. This is taken from the the 2005 laws on the DNR site. From reading the below, I would say yes, you do need a permit and I have asked our local officer this I believe a couple of years ago and he said that a permit is needed, but it is free, so no big deal.

"hooks"

"A person may not train huntings dogs afield on a DNR administered lands from April 16 to July 14. A person may train hunting dogs afield on other lands.

A person training a dog afield and carrying a firearm may only have blank cartridges and shells in possession when the season is not open for any game bird, except by permit. An organization or individual may obtain a free permit to use firearms and live ammunition on domesticated birds or banded game birds from game farms for holding field trials and training hunting dogs."

I would agree with the 2 earlier post regarding a permit to a certain extent. Training on private land without a permit is ok.

Training on private land while using live ammunition or live birds does require a permit.

GOOD LUCK & HAVE FUN!!

Thanks for the response guys. You're all right, I got confirmation from the DNR (I think the person I talked to was the only person in the DNR who actually knew anything). Since it's between April 16th and July 14th and I want to use live ammo and live birds, I do need a permit. If it was outside those dates I would not need a permit on private land. I was told the law has changed this year and informed the law will most likely change next year to provide more clarification. The gal I spoke with at the DNR was nice enough to send me the redlined statute with the new law and an electronic copy of the permit application. If anyone wants copys let me know and I can e-mail them to you *** schaapj at yahoo (Contact US Regarding This Word) ***.

Thanks again for the responses and happy hunting and fishing.

-schaapj