• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring Crappie Notes

eyepatrol

Well, since I'm experiencing a slight case of insomnia right now, I thought I would finish off my review and notes for late ice, ice-out, pre-spawn and spawning crappies. These are notes I've gathered from posts over the past 3 years in this forum, so what you see written is summarized and may not be word for word. Hopefully I've recorded them and interpreted them correctly, but would appreciate it if you guys could let me know if I mis-interpreted anything, or should add to the info. So, here it goes:

- As late ice approaches, some crappies will relocate into shallower water in the 5' - 10' depth range, while other schools will remain in deep main lake basins.

- The old brown weeds will soon begin to come to life again and become green, providing food and cover for crappies.

- Start looking for ice-out crappies where they were found during late ice. These areas may hold crappies immediately after ice-out.

- After ice-out, crappies will move to mid-depth ranges such as at the mouths of shallow bays where they spawn.

- After dark bottom shallow bays begin to warm, crappies will begin to move in, but not all dark bottom bays will attract crappies. Streams and creeks feeding shallow water bays is a plus; also look for any algae or aquatic blooms.

- Some of the biggest crappies in a body of water can be found in the first piece of open water. Concentrate on the top 4' of the water column where most of the heat resides after ice-out.

- Continue to use same ice jigs immediately after ice-out. Switch to plastics when water temps hit 48deg. and above.

- Crappies will sometimes make a shallow water move after ice-out after a few days of warm stable weather and surface temps are 44-46 degrees. They'll return to the first main break line until temps stabilize between 55-59 degrees. Abrupt cold fronts will cause them to move deeper to the next break line.

- During warm, mid-day times, look to the shallowest mud bottom bays a few weeks after ice-out. Look over or near deeper water in the mornings and evenings.

- Ice-out crappies tend to head for deep water when big cold fronts move through. Downsize the bait and look deep.

- When warm weather lasts for a couple days or more, shallow the bait up and look shallow. If you don't find fish shallower, then deepen your bait and look deeper.

- Crappies can be caught in 55-60 degree water just 3' down over deeper water adjacent to shallow bays. Look to the closest structure to deep water adjacent to shallow bays.

- If water is under 60 degrees and fish are not in shallow, look to deeper water adjacent to shallow areas and don't be afraid to fish deep as well. Find some sort of structure and fish the deepest end of it first.

- Crappies typically spawn in 62-66 degree water temps.

- Crappies start to make nests when water temps are 62-66 degrees. Usually late May to early June in MN. They prefer gravel bottoms, but will use sand and mud if gravel isn't available. Most crappie spawn in 2'-10' of water.

- Sometimes the biggest crappies will spawn just off the shallow break line in deeper water.

- Colors: Chartreuse, white, pink, red, yellow, purple, blue (and even wacky colors).

- Keep a journal.

As mentioned, I'm sure I missed some information. I put this together though to try and improve myself on fishing for crappie as it has been a desire of mine to get better at targeting these fish. The one thing I wasn't able to interpret well was CT's explanation and reasoning behind the importance of 58 degree water from the surface to 8 feet deep. Maybe if you read this CT you could elaborate on that a bit? I don't quite understand it yet.

All I know is that this is a start, and there are a slough of things that could possibly throw these notes out the door. But, I plan to use it as a guide on my outings this spring and hopefully I'm able to put 2 and 2 together and make something of it.

Thanks for all the great info guys! Whenever I can, I'll share what I experienced out on the water.

Good stuff basscatcher!

CrappieTom and I will be giving a seminar at the Mankato Gander Mountain on Thursday, April 20. I'll post more info in the near future... and yes, it will deal with panfish smile.gif

The open water panfish season is right around the corner!

Just moved to Minnesota and have little to no experience in fresh water. Last summer I found a small river that runs to a tiny shallow lake that was filled with 2-4 lb Northerns mid to late summer. Thought I saw spawning beds in 3'to 4' water. Bottom is weedy with chanels cut at stream bed and flatens out to 1-3' foot water for the majority. Bottoms appears dark to me. It sits to the north of the main lake and is down stream. Does this sound like a good spot for spawning crappies?

Please advise.

Great news Matt! I've got it marked on my calendar.

Looks like you may be ready for open water water? I see your avatar has been switched from what appears to be a cold wintery day on the ice to a beautiful sunshine day with open water and t-shirt! It won't be long now. The next 7-10 days are forecasted to be in the mid to upper 40's. cool.gif

I'm hoping to make it out Monday morning for a few hours, then I think I'll putting away the ice gear. Next week is going to be a busy week with the NW Sport Show and I don't think I'll have another opportunity before the ice is out...

Then it's time to start chasing those open water slabs smile.gif

I hear ya. I'm headed out Sunday for my last ice outing of this season, then putting the gear away. Gone the following weekend and likely working the weekend after that. Hopefully by the weekend after that, the lakes will be open so I can get out and really do some serious searching! wink.gif

Ah, the anticipation of the open water. I just added another piece of electronics to the boat for the new year. I have a few new plastics on order and have the lake already picked out for the first launch.

I to may get out one more time on the hard water Sat. or Sunday for a few hours to get it out of my system and run that last little bit of gas from my auger...