• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Please Welcome Chewy!!

I'd like to give a warm welcome to Chewy as a new moderator of the Colorado forum! Welcome!

I'm looking forward to hearing and swapping stories, sharing some knowledge, and maybe learning a thing or too as well from you Chewy!

Feel free to tell us a little more about yourself and the waters you like to fish in Colorado.

I'm a native of Colorado and grew up fishing for trout. I fish all over the state. But the lakes I know best are Granby and 11-Mile. I keep a motor home at 11-Mile and love the Kokanee fishing there. I mainly fish from my boat during the summer. During the winter I have access to a cabin on Lake Granby and do most of my ice fishing there. I fly fish, but not as much as I used to. I love fishing for Kokanee salmon and smoke and can as many as I can. I try and make a least two trips a year to Steamboat, Stage Coach, Wollford, Green Mountain, Williams Fork, Blue Mesa (I plan on spending a week there this summer in mid June), Twin Lakes, Pueblo, Chatfield (I'd love some advice about how to catch a keeper walleye at Chatfield.....I only catch walleye below 18 inches. I'd love to catch a couple to eat some time.) I'm not complaining. I haven't fished Bonny, North Sterling or Prewitt since we've been in the drought. Most of the ramps have been out of water or just hard to launch from.

I'd like to encourage everyone to post and share your expertise with all of us. I really believe you get your best current conditions from the FM site. It also really helps with the learning curve if we share information. Remember someone took the time to teach most of us or at least give us the basics.

I hope to get an opportunity to meet some of the folks who post here in Colorado. I'll post and let everyone know where I'll be fishing and maybe we can hook-up.

I'll be fishing the No-Name contest at 11-Mile on the 20th and 21st of May. I fish out of a black and tan Lund and will be in loop A of the Rocky Ridge campground for the 11-Mile contest. Come by and say Hi.

I wish everyone heart pumping, good fishing........

Chewy

I fished Lake Granby this weekend (March 25th and 26th). There is a solid 22 to 24 inches of ice still on the Lake. We had two good day's of fishing. I found Kokanee next to Dike 1 in 15 foot of water. We only caught four Kokes, the biggest was 16 inches. We fished in 40 foot of water near Dike 3 and Elephant Island and caught 4 Macks the biggest 20 inches. We then moved close to Highway 34 in a small cove North of Circle H and caught and released over 30 rainbows and caught 4 macks the largest 23 inches. The cool part was we were only fishing in 7 foot of water. The rainbows would hit non stop and then just quit. We soon learned it was because the macks were in the area feeding. A number of rainbows had scars and bruising from the macks chasing them. I've caught 2 macks 32 and 36 inches over the past couple of years in 10 foot of water or less, so don't think you have to fish over deep water.

Yesterday (Saturday) was warm most of the day. The lake did get a little slushy towards late afternoon. This morning we sat through a blizzard. I was thankful to have an ice fishing tent and a good heater. We received another 3 to 4 inches of snow at the lake this morning. If temperatures stay below 40 for the next couple of weeks during the day the lake should remain safe for ice fishing for at least a couple more weeks. I'll be back up at Granby and plan on fishing Lake John next Friday. I'll let everyone know how the fishing was.

I wish everyone..Heart pumping...Good fishing!

Chewy