• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris Magnum 330

mtwalleye

I am looking to buy my first 4-wheeler. I have an opportunity to buy a 2003 Magnum 330 with around 1500 miles. The asking price is $3100. Looks to be in very good shape. I will mainly use the machine for ice fishing and deer hunting. Not really hauling any big loads. Can anyone provide me with their experiences with this machine? Is the 330 class big enough? Is this a fair price. Thanks for your help.

Using Kelley Blue Book, trade-in value for a 4X4, which I assume you're talking about, is $2400. Retail is $3500. New today, I'd guess about $4200 (call some dealers and ask).

We talked about engine size in another thread not long ago. 300-400cc size is more than enough for the average rider.

That machine should suit you fine for your intended purpose. Offer $2700 and see what the seller says. You can always go higher.

As I just found out last month, buying a used machine can be tricky. It all really depends on the former owner and how well he took care of it, scheduled maintenance, etc. Personally, I wouldn't buy a wheeler that has a plow on it (or has had) as chances are it has been worked hard (possibly/probably?) That being said, I know I am putting a plow on mine (i got a great deal on a new one) because I know how I will treat mine, maintain it, etc and that is one of the reasons I purchased it. May make it harder to sell down the road, but If I treat it right, it SHOULD last me for years and years and years!!!!

Try to find the original owner, and talk to him, most reputable businesses will give you the contact info, and at least you can purchase with a clear conscience.

You can tell a lot about a machine just from its appearance. Skidplates are dinged, dented? Fender cracks? Open the air box cover and see how clean it is inside there. A lot of people may change oil but fail to service the air cleaner. Is there dried mud inside the air box? Mud caked in around the carb? A lot of play in the steering? Original battery? Little things can tell a big story, sometimes.

MT, I just bought a '05 330 4x4 with 50 mile on it for 4k December '05. I have no complaints. I plow my brother-in laws 300 foot driveway, tug my Otter lodge ice fishing, and general riding in the winter across the lake to my folks place. Plenty of power b4 loosing traction(low gear). Always can use more power, who can't. Suits my needs. Father in-law has an '03 330 4x4, no problems with that one either so far, he just doesn't have the gauges. It is a carb, always starts, just have to play with the choke a bit.

Had it at the Cool Cats on Saturday and had a good time. Good luck.

River-rat4