• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sunfish

my thought/experiances have been to find food and for sunnys ive been in 15-20fow and with light weeds my vexilar shows me the weeds and small oganisims i eventaly then find some bull sunnys and some good craps

I'll be moving shallower as March rolls on. Usually I find some pretty consistent sunfish bites in about 3-5 feet once mid-March hits. These are also areas where sight fishing can be a lot of fun.

Right now I plan on hitting the shallow soft-bottom bays with partial weed growth. These fish will be putting on the feedbags real soon.

8 foot weed edges should hold some fish, also don't be afraid to move up inside the weeds too...

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Right now many gills should be on the move shallower feeding in deeper water not too far from the weeds or even in them as Matt is talking about or gradually working their way in (assuming you had a day of melting yesterday). Once the melt really starts and the oxygen starts filtering in they can get very shallow.

If you see Cattails close to a nice weedline flat that is close to a mud bottom basin you likely aren't too far off from a decent spot. A lot of times you will find them in the same spot as crappies are right now.

This time of year do not be afraid to upsize as many of the nicer fish have been conditioned to avoid or be very picky on small finesse presentations.

North shorelines with these conditions will be the first to turn on usually.

Matt is the expert when it comes to gills. I agree on the move to shallow water. My advise if no obvious weed groth is look to a sandy or muddy bay. I have had some banner days when we hit the 40's and the sunnies put the feed bags on in a beach like area. This is also the area you will find sunfish and crappies as soon as the ice is out. They will be in these area as this is gernerally the warmest water and if there is a muddy bottom usually a good bug hatch of some kind to draw them in

If there are minimal weeds, then I like the sticky/muddy bottoms this time of year. That seems to draw in the most forage for the sunfish. They can feed all day on those micro-organisms.

Once things really heat up and the run-off begins, you can expect those shallow areas to explode with activity.

I plan on working a shallow, muddy bay tomorrow, in about 4-7 feet for gills. This particular area is adjacent to deeper water, which I believe is a must-have during this mid to late-ice transition. The mainlake basin in about 10-15 feet if where I've been catching most of my gills, but now they'll seek refuge up on the shallow portion where the bottom becomes more "plentiful."

Time to run and gun for monster gills! Gotta love late ice! smile.gif