• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looky what I saw on the way home

Tom Wilson

His "guess" is probably pretty close as a mature eagle gets a full white head around five years of age and this one is still showing some brown mixed in. Now that is NOT an exact science as this bird could be younger or older but I'd guess three to four yrs old myself. Check out this link.

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/www/critters/eagle/826572782.html#35

P.S. Tom, we will have to get you closer... that distance is just not acceptable. grin.giftongue.gif unless you go out and get the 600mm prime. wink.gif

Steve,

You got it--70-200 VR with a 1.4x tele, + the 1.5x crop factor. Distance to bird was only about 40 feet--it was the closest I've ever been to a wild Eagle.

Jimbo,

A Bald Eagle hits full maturity at 4.5 to 5 years of age. The white feathers of their head will start to come in at the start of their fourth year and be complete by the start of their fifth year. The intermix of brown tells you that this dude is around 4.5 years old.

Tom W

A few of us were planning on going down to Red Wing for the eagle scenery. If the weather is overcast that will put a major damper in the day and it looks like a wintery mix is forecast so with that being said if it's sunny then Red Wing is on and if it's not then it looks like plan B.