• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WEIMARANER???

EYEYIEYE

can anyone help me out with the pros and cons of the Weimaraner? I hunt alot of geese and pheasants. I have 2 kids ages 6 and 2 they love our black lab but he is getting a little long in the tooth and I want the pup to trail the elder for a year or two.

My uncle used to raise Wiemies back in the 60's and 70's... I think a lot has changed with the breed since then. I don't know a whole lot about them, but I know the show people really raised havoc with them a couple decades ago and you'll really need to do your research for good field lines.

I try to stay away from the Lab touting threads (as if you can't already tell my partiality) and let others chime in on the pros and cons of Lab ownership... but it sounds like the dog you have is a good fit for the mix of hunting you do.

With that said, I would like to add these points...

1. I wouldn't let a Wiemie "trail" a lab for a couple years, unless you are looking for a wide ranging flusher... Two different ball games as far as how each one hunts... The lab will do nothing to help foster any of a Weimies hunting traits...

2. With the Goose hunting thrown in the mix, why would you choose a pointer? I know a lot of guys are gonna jump on here and tout what great waterfowl dogs their pointers are (that's one of the reasons I don't normally get in on these threads), and I even had a Shorthair that'd do an O.K. job at retrieving ducks and geese, but usually they are the exception and even then they are only O.K.

I know Wiemies are cool looking and I can remember them holding point and it was a fantastic sight, but even my uncle had Springers or Labs for his duck and goose dogs. I guess if you primarily hunt upland and you just on rare occasion would like to try to use your dog on ducks and geese (warm water or field hunting only as they will not be able to tolerate cold water), then you'd probably be O.K.... but I'd reconsider if waterfowling is an important cog in your equation.

Good Luck!

Ken

If you want a Weimie I'd get ahold of the Northstar Weimaraner Club breed secretary and ask for referals. When I was looking for my first bird dog I went to the Gamefair and talked with the Weimy folks from the Nortstar club and they were very helpful. I decided to get into GSP's but the Weimy folks were very honest and helpful about their dogs.

I know there are 1 or 2 Minnesota based breeders that trial/test their dogs and are highly regarded. Also Dianne Vater of Pennsylvania and Dick Wilbur of Texas are nationally known folks that are highly regarded. Do some google searches on the internet and you should be able to find the MN breeders. If you need help let me know and I'll help you find these names.

Do your research and don't fall in love with the first litter you come across. It's going to be harder to get a "good" hunting dog in a Weimy due to the fact that their are fewer of them and they are gaining in popularity which means more people are breeding them but not necessarily to "improve" them.

My pro's and con's are general since I've only seen a Weimy work at a walking trial I ran my dog in 13 years ago so take it for what it's worth.

Pros - They look cool. They seem like nice dogs and generally get very attached to their owner. Short coat makes for easy maintenance. Big like a lab but more leggy. Generally very close ranging and slower running for a pointing dog. Should be very comfortable for a someone familiar with labs to hunt with. Seemed like decent retrievers. Should be able to retrieve a goose on land and warm water. Seem like a one person dog. Seem protective of the family.

Cons - Don't range out enough and run slower (for me grin.gif). Big dogs eat alot and [PoorWordUsage] alot. Used to be prone to hard mouth. Not sure if that's true anymore or not. Seem like a one person dog. Seem protective of the family. Sometimes dogs like that are too protective and can be biters. Have a reputation for fighting with other dogs.

If you are primarily a goose hunter you may wish to look into a pointing lab. If you primarily hunt pheasant then maybe a Weimie will do. If you do cold water goose hunting either leave the Weimy at home or try a neoprene vest for your dog and see if that helps. Personally I'd leave the Weimy home.

good luck,

gpsman

Thanks for the input. I am a lab guy through and through but my wife wants a weimaraner I have heard the same about being protective that worries me. I do all my goose hunting on land so the water issue isn't that bad for me. I still want a lab british preferrably. thanks for the quick responses and the good info.

For what it is worth I am on my 4th Lab and my first Weim, the Weim has meet and exceded my expecations for upland and waterfowl hunting. She will be two in June, so she really only had a season and a half of hunting under her collar, but she already broke out on her own (she liked to shadow my Lab the first few months) has been pointing birds like a champ. I used her waterfowl hunting early in the season while hunting with my dad over some pot holes, my dad took my trustly Lab and I took the spark plug with me, to my amazment she retrieved ducks like she was a darn Lab. I did spend a lot of the spring/summer swimming her to wear her out daily. This leads me to my other part of the Weims, they are very high energy and MUST have daily exercise to settle them down. If and when I exercise her be it, running, swimming or even spending a long time doing retrieves she settles down and will be as clam and collected as any dog there is. If I miss a day or even two of good exercise, she will let me know by her behavior. Hands down the only dog I've owned with a personality that makes you laugh daily! I've found they handle the outside elements with ease and her short coat gets rather thick living in Northern MN. The difference in the Wiem's if finding a breeder that has "Hunting" breeds compared to "Show" Weims.

I did some extensive research for a breeder in MN and found our pub at Bonnstetter Kennels in Slayton, MN They have a beautiful farm and many awesome dogs to choice from. We waited and got one from what the owner claimed to be their best hunting stud and (Contact US Regarding This Word).

Here is kind of a bad picture of my Weim and my buddy out Prairie Chicken hunting this year.

public909x6141kj.jpg

Good luck and have fun.....and a LOT of patience with your new pub.