• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

dog to good home

Sled

Sled,

I have a friend that had to put down his old springer this winter and mentioned to me he is interested in a pointing breed for his next dog. He does mostly pheasant hunting. He has three young kids ages 2-10 though so is there any reason this dog should not be around kids?

Can't promise anything but I would at least mention it to him.

ccarlson

He is a good dog and has never been agressive towards anyone. I do not have kids and for 8 years of his life he has not been in constant contact with children. But I would say with some confidence that he would be good with kids once he adjusted to them. If anything he would be too friendly with them and they would have trouble fending off his face licking and nosiness.

Sled,

Sounds good about the dog. Before I call him this afternoon though, I guess I should just ask you if he's a good hunting dog? You know, the standard stuff like does he point well, does he listen decent, etc.? Already sounds like he would be a good family dog.

If you want, you can e mail me at carlsons at brainerd dot net

Thanks and I hope we can find your dog a good hunting home.

ccarlson

Hey I would give that dog a fine home.

Live winter here in Chisago City on Musky Acres.

Live on my own Island on Lake Vermilion all summer guiding Musky.

If you feel he would fit in with our Goldens - Barney and Homer J.

He would be very welcome.

grin.gif

Tom Wehler

In answer to the hunting question - he is good nose, classic point, and strong on retrieve. Due to my poor training of him he does not hold point on flush or shot, does not honor another dog's point. Also, this past season I noticed diminished desire but that could have been due to several factors.

In answer to getting along with Goldens - he socializes well with all dogs. We actually lived with/rented from a guy with 2 big Goldens and all was fine. The island home sounds ideal for him. I am jealous now of my dog. Can we meet and discuss? I can give you details and pictures in a separate email.

One of those life changes. I don't have anyone to help me anymore with the walking, feeding, etc. and I now have a 2nd job. I still handle the schedule OK for the basics but mainly it's not fair to my dog when I am rarely able to spend time with him and socialize with him.

Musky Tom tried to help me out but unfotunately my dog won't leave his cat in peace. I will have to take my dog back today. So the offer of this dog free to a good home still is open. Thanks for trying Tom. Thanks to all for your suggestions and help.

Just wanted to follow up on my earlier post that I did run the info by my friend but it sounds like it wouldn't work at this time for him. Sorry I can't help. Good luck.

ccarlson