• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Build my perfect dog!

Hotspotter

When the time comes and the right litter form one of the two breeders of American Cockers that I've talked to comes up, I will be purchasing one. They are truely amazing little guys. They are close working flushers, (I would like to get back into a little grouse hunting and these guys do an amazing job with grouse), pheasants pose no problems, are admirable duck retrievers (they even learn how to handle blinds with hand signals much as a lab)... I know how to train retrievers and so this should be fairly seamless for me to train a Cocker as opposed to a brittany. I did the pointing dog thing once and it wasn't a fit for me... There are plenty of nice Springers out there and I'm sure with a little research you would end up with a heck of a dog, just that if I'm going to something other than a Lab I'm getting a sporting dog that will handle what I throw at it, but will have a compact house dog to boot.

Overall it would take a lot of typing to try and offer up "why". The best way to know if it is what you are looking for is to watch one.

One of my best friends used to go to Scotland to watch the British National Field retriever trials. At that time I had told him my desire to get a Cocker in the near future. He was (is) a lab guy through and through, much like me and gave me a ton of dump for even considering buying one. Well long story short, he befriended a Gameskeeper over there and he had a passle of Cockers, Mike watched those dogs and how they intereacted with him and basically the word always used to describe them how "merry" they were... he got it! He even gave me his blessing! hehehe grin.gif

Do some research and when you're ready let me know if you are looking into an American Cocker, I can probably point you in the right direction or check with GundogLily about English Cockers... he sounds like he does some preserve shooting with his so I'm sure he'd be happy to show you what his can do.

Good Luck!

Ken

That's a good pic, like the hat...what is that a Hesston?

Hey, I may have another litter this year and than hold off next year...going to have three total litters in all. This would be it until the last litter in the spring of 08' or 09'.

I'll keep you posted.

Hey jnelson,

If your interested in seeing one of Double Griffs pups. I will be testing the pick of the litter Griff on May 13-14 in Milaca at the NAVHDA Natural Ability Test.

Otherwise we start our NAVHDA Spring training out at Major Avenue Gun Club in Glencoe,MN on Thursday nights after 5pm till dark starting in April. There you would be able to see a good majority of all the pointing breeds.

Double Griffs pups are great with kids,good temperment, great drive in the feild,& excellent genetics.

Good luck in your search,

Chris

jnelson,

Another Griffon owner here and I see you are from SE MN. I could get you in contact with the southern MN NAVHDA group if you would like to see a variety of versatile breeds. I have not had the time to make it to their training sessions, but did test my pup last August in the NA test with that group. They are a great group - very friendly.

My Griffon is now 15 months old and has been great with my kids (3 and 2). He has been a great pet and a great hunting partner. I am interested to see how he does in his second season.

Chris,

Hope all is well!

Just a heads up..."Oreo", now Jake, will also be at that weekends session in Milaca. Not sure what day, Sat. or Sun., do you know what day your test is on?

Good luck and let me know how it turns out, was planning on attending, but have opener plans to catch some "eyes."

Mark

Hey Mark,

All is well!

Rudy is at 70+lbs & still all grey I'll shoot you some pics up to you this weekend. We just started our force breaking this week & he is accepting the dummy fine & holding it without alot of correction. cool.gif Man are they good dogs.

I won't be at Milaca thought I would, but they confirmed my test after they were full. confused.gif

So I'm testing at the Metro Test on June 3rd & 4th out at Major Ave Gun Club in Glencoe. Don't have my day yet but I'm in the test for sure! I will let you know when it is.

I won't hijack nelson's post so I'll touch base with you this weekend with some more news. Maybe I can shoot up for some looper fishing with the pup?

Later,

Chris