• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris colt....no spark

JEV

Alright, here's the situation. I picked up an older Polaris Colt a few weeks back. The body on it is in exceptional condition. It's a really nice lookin sled. It's a 1973 295 ColtSS. However, at some point the original motor was swapped out with a one lunger polaris 250. I was aware of this and was fine with it when I bought it. When I got it home it ran fine. I have run into a problem though lately that has me banging my head against a wall. The one day the sled ran fine. Started on the first pull and always restarted. I came out the next day and it wouldn't start. Checked things out, and I had no spark. I replaced the external coil, the points, the condensor, I even redid the original wiring harness as that was a little iffy. After I redid all of that, she was running again. Came to start it again the next day, same thing. No spark. I've had it torn down at least a half dozen times and I can't figure it out. I can't find any shorts or breaks in the wires and there is no kill switch. I actually wired it direct and bypassed all switches and checked for spark and still got nothing. I'm at a loss. The only thing left that I haven't really checked is the internal coil that is part of the stator plate. Is there any way to check this? I can't stand having snow and can't ride....

Thanks,

JEV

I have the same problem on my 1980 ski-doo...except only one cylinder was firing...so i tested the coil and it was bad so ordered a new one put it in and then the opposite cylinder wasant firing...thats where im at now, next is to see if it has points or a cdi box, but you said you already replaced the points so im at a loss for words for you to. When u figure it out i want to know what the problem was

I just sold a 74 colt, not the SS, but the 295 motor. It was only running on one cylinder when we bought it so the first thing we had to do was find someone with a flywheel puller and replace the inner coil, so it could be a common problem with those years?? It's a pain to replace, but it sounds like a similar problem.

I torn into her again last night and checked out the inner coil. It seemed to be shorting somewhere within the windings so I unwound it and then wound it backup reinsulating it in certain areas. Put it all back together and she fired up on the first pull. Hopefully it lasts this time.

JEV

Good to hear you got it figured out (knock on wood, right?). My dad has a 73 colt 250 that I rode a ton growing up and it is still going strong today - he pulls my kids on the sled all the time with it still. Never had one lick of trouble with it, and really have never done anything to it, it now has over 6500 miles. Great little sleds.