• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flash Charging Glow Jigs

Tyler Holm

I'd had the pleasure of fishing with our very own CrappieTom this morning. He brought along a camera flasher to flash charge our glow jigs. I have personally never used or seen this methodology, but I have heard reference to flash charging glow colors. Each time he hit the flasher button I couldn't help but stare into this eye piercing light. I think I got hypnotized because I forgot to pick his brain about the difference of flash charging jigs vs using a traditional LED charger.

Both seem to charge the glow jigs. Is there any reason you might prefer a flash charger over the LED charger? Efficiency? Glows longer?

CT is old enough grin.gif it mite just be a habit!!!! the trick of charging jigs has been around for quite a while. the paints were nothing like we have today, but back then that was about the only way to charge the jigs other than a flash light! those flash units are bright thou!! cool.gif

We have been using the camera flash longer than I can remember and it works very well.

Another trick to use with the flash is a reflector that lights up 360 degrees of the glow jig with one shot.

I use a wide mouth Plastic pill container(2" dia, 3"long) and line the inside with silver metal backed tape.

Hang the jig inside the container and give it a zap. The light bounces off of the metal tape and covers all sides of the jig at once. The container also helps contain the bright white lite.

I like the LED lights because I think the flasher gets the lure too bright. I've had better luck with softer glow most of the time. And if I'm fishing a live minnow, sometimes I'll light up just one side of the lure, so as the minnow swims, the glow will appear and disappear. It works on the not-so-aggressive fish.

Besides, as we all know, the bright flasher make you sterile. grin.gifgrin.gif