• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gun refinishing question

Cooter

Have been checking out some of the metal refinishing products, specifically the bake on stuff from Brownells. Nothing wrong with the blueing on my rifle, but I'd like a matte style finish. Anyone have any experience in this area? Would like to redo the the receiver as well as the barrel. Thanks.

Cooter: I have used the Brownells bake on enamel on a 98 mauser I built for this last deer season. It is good stuff! Be advised you will need to abrasive blast all parts you need to refinish, and you will need an oven large enough to bake (for example) a barrelled action. I bought a sand blast cabinet at Harbor freight ($69.00 on sale) and used alum oxide from fleet farm ($25.00 per bucket). I also built an oven out of 2x12 and used an old electric burner from a heater, and lined the "oven" with alum foil. It worked well and the finigh was great. I used spray cans, but after using them, I would recommend using an airbrush.

Hope this helps.

Dukhntr