• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

580 xlt gas problem

dewoutdoor70

had rear suspension out ,now go to start fires partially first puul then fouls every plg,they get just soaked,have shut gas off drained every carb,willpartially fire,soon as i turn the gas back on soaks plugs right away,dont use choke,its been in heated garage ,could a choke be stuck,fuel pump,any ideas would be great

Just ran into the same problem on the same sled this last weekend. My buddy is having some family up in a couple weeks and wanted me to help him get all his sleds going.

First thing we found was either mice or chipmunks had made nests in EVERY air box on all 5 of his sleds. We had to pull off and open up all the air boxes to clean out. After that they all started with the exception of the XLT. Tried new plugs checked compression etc. All ok. The biggest mistake I made when I pulled the carbs is that I didn't unhook the choke cables. We took off the bowls and checked and cleaned the main and pilot jets and made sure the needle and seats were ok. Everything was perfectly clean. Still wouldnt run. After further checking and trying to remove the choke cable we found the plunger was stuck in the up position on one carb basically flooding it with gas. We freed it up with some wd40 and worked it a little, reinstalled it and vrooom...it fired right up. We only had the problem on one cylinder but you could have it on more than one. I guess I'd check that right away since its easy and sounds like a similar problem to yours.

You said you just cleaned your carbs, one of your fuel inlet valves (needle & seat)may be hanging open or just not shutting. This would cause gas to rush right through your carb flooding you out like you are describing.