• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

sore pads

mwal

Just got back from a cold trip to SD. Dogs pads are swollen and very tender. Would dog boots help or not? The trip was very cold and windy birds were spooky but we had good success if you put your time in and worked hard.

Mwal

I WOULD SAY THAT THE DOG WOULD NEVER KEEP THEM ON. ALTHOUGH I HAVE NEVER TRIED THEM ON MY BLACK LAB MY PARENTS HAVE A COUPLE LITTLE HOUSE DOGS (IF MY MOM WAS AN ESKIMO YOU COULD SELL HER A POPSICLE)SO ANYWAY THE LADY AT THE PET STORE TOLD HER THAT SHE SHOULD BUY THESE FOR THE 2 LITTLE YIPPERS THERE FEET WOULDN'T GET SO COLD WHEN THEY GO OUTSIDE AND THEY ARE SO GREAT AND WHATEVER. WELL WHAT THE PET STORE LADY DIDN'T TELL HER IS THAT IF YOU DO PUT THEM ON THE DOGS FEET AND SEND THEM OUTSIDE WHEN YOU REALIZE THAT THE LITTLE YIPPER IS STILL OUTSIDE AND YOU GO AND CHECK IT WILL BE FROZEN SOLID BECAUSE IT WILL BE IN THE SAME POSITION AS WHEN YOU PUT IT OUT THERE. THEY HATE TO WALK WITH THEM ON. MY SISTER AND I USED TO PUT THE BOOTS ON THE DOGS AND THEN CALL THEM ACROSS THE ROOM, IT WAS GREAT ENTERTAINMENT!

SO IF YOU HAVE EVER SEEN A DOG WITH BOOTS ON YOU WOULD ANSWER YOUR QUESTION. I WOULD SAY SAVE YOUR MONEY.

I disagree with the last post-we hunt western south dakota for prairie chickens and if you forget the dog boots you better bring the hemostats to pull out all of the little cactus quills in the dogs pads. Hunted earlier this week for Ruffed Grouse in Minnesota and forgot the boots, hard crust on snow tough on dog pads.Did shoot my first and only double on grouse over my dogs point. The one thing you must do is tape the boots on (in addition to fastenings)-we use the white medical tape that comes on a little metal roll-and we don't skimp on the tape.

My labs feet are getting pretty beat up right now to. But a lot of his scratches are higher on the leg, the crusted snow in most places is about 8 inches deep that I have been hunting, causing rubs higher on the leg. With only a few days left, we are gonna tough it out. Maybe the new wet snow will make it a little easier on him tomorrow. I have looked at the booties, but don't know how well they would stay on, taping sounds like a good idea.

I have used the boots on my dog and they do help. I think it depends on how well your dog will react to them. At first it looked like my dog was walking on the moon - really high big slow steps, and kind of funny to watch. Once she realized that she was going to get to go hunting, you wouldn't even know she had them on. They do need to be attached well or will slip down or fall off. The hard snow/ice is what led me to get them and they did help.

The dog will get used to the boots quick, usually as soon as they hit the field or throw something. Some can be tough to keep on without using tape. The best deal I have found for boots that work are the ones at dogbooties (Contact US Regarding This Word). They are up in Two Harbors. Get the ones with the elastic Velcro strap and at least 500 denier weight. The only trouble the dog will have is if they start running on ice.