• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Re-sleeving my '93 EXT 550 EFI

tashit

I have my old '93 EXT sitting in my parent's backyard with a fried cylinder. I decided I finally need to do something about this and I want to get it running. I thought I just had to hone the cylinder and slide a new sleeve in, replace the piston, rings, gaskets, crank seal, and head. I wanted to buy the parts today but thought I would do a little research before I did. I've been reading that maybe I only have to bore the cylinder or replace the sleeve? I'm a little confused now as to what exactly I need to do with the cylinder itself. I'm no master mechanic but I can usually figure things out if they're explained to me. My dad is decent with engines and my uncle will be down for Christmas and he would know what he's doing so I will have some help. I want to spend as little money as possible but I figure I may as well get this thing running. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I had this issue last winter. The slight issue is that Cat's have a nikasil (sp?) plating on the cylinder wall. It is quite expensive to go through the process of boring, re-sleeve and send in to get the nikasil coating. Quotes exceeding $275, mailing and waiting...etc..

hsolist is my favorite option. I was buying cylinders, pistons and other stuff for cheap. Just buy another cylinder in good shape for a fraction of the price. Hone it and good to go.

You are on the right track, but don't skimp on re-building the engine. Get all new top end gaskets (usually sold in sets), circlips, rings, etc... Usually the crankcase gasket is one piece, so plan on working on the other cylinder to replace the gasket....then new rings on that piston, etc..

BTW....Cat piston rings are tapered. Look closely and don't install upside down. Tapered end goes upward, flat side goes down. wink.gif

Oh, first try to figure out the reason the engine blew a piston before re-building or it will be a never ending money pit. blush.gif

Good luck

Thanks Chuck, that's very helpful. A big reason it's taken me awhile to do this is because I did want to find the problem before I put a bunch of money into it and then have the same thing happen again. From what I've read, I'm pretty sure it was just a bad crank seal or maybe head gasket that was leaking air. I'm going to get the sled into the garage this weekend and take a closer look at it. Thanks for the help!

I found a cylinder and head on hsolist for $85. That would be a great deal but is that too cheap? The seller has 4 positive feedbacks and that's it (no negatives). I usually don't buy from sellers on hsolist without a lot of feedback but that price would be great if it's not one of those too good to be true deals.