• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ottertail County Lakes?????

joe_stack20

Hi guys i got a question for ya, I love icefishing, a favorite past time of mine, but i have a problem, i dont own a boat, so in the summer i dont know where all of these weedlines are, or humps, or any structure for that matter, so when i go on a lake i basically am a newbie to it, How do i find these spots, when i dont have all of the time in the world to look, Any helpful hints about the Ottertail area would be of great help, I do have a Jiffy Stealth and a FL8 Vexi, but dont know where to start. If anyone has any helpful hints please let me know!! thank you

I would start by getting a hold of a couple lake maps for the lakes you would like to fish. Then try and find bays where you think weeds will be present and work your way out. Often times you can find pockets and depressions in those shallow bays and those areas can be outstanding for early ice pannies, both crappies and bluegills. And as you work your way towards deeper water you'll be able to find the weedline. Then take note of the depth and see if you can't work parallel to where you think the edge is and then just continue to work your way down shore until you find a pattern. More often than not that pattern will stay true for a good majority of that particular lake as far as the depth for where weeds will run and whatnot. Then all you do is look for other productive spots on the lake map and see if you can locate the weedline in those areas using the info you've already picked up.

So, if you know of any particular spots where weeds are present, I would start there and work your way out towards the edge. Then keep track of your findings, then use those to determine where abouts the weedline will be on other areas of the lake. You're flasher will become your tool for finding the depths that you feel the weeds should be at, as well as an indicator that will tell you if weeds are down there or not. So just keep punching holes until you find what you want.

Now granted this might not hold true for every lake, but it will still give you a general idea for that particular body of water. Once you find out that this holds true on a couple spots on the lake, then you'll see a pattern develop, and before you know it you'll have a pretty good idea of where the weedline is (or should be if weeds are in the area) on a vast majority of the lake.

Does this make sense?

Well, you have two important tools - your auger and your flasher.

There are a lot of good panfish lakes in the area. Sometimes you'll find the crappies and the sunfish right in with each other, sometimes not.

Look for the weed edges, you should be able to see the weeds on your flasher. Sometimes they'll be in the weeds, and if you can find a hole in the weedbed you can have some great fishing. If you don't see fish in short order, keep moving. Move to another lake if you have to. Sooner or later you will find them. If they won't bite, change lures/baits and see what happens.

I often fish for crappies over very deep water, sometimes 40 or 50 feet. They will often suspend 10 to 25 feet down, and that is where your flasher is worth every penny. Don't be afraid to punch a lot of holes and do some searching. Sometime they are hard to pin down when they suspend, but when you find them it can be magic.

If you get on a good bite, be careful who you tell. Some of these smaller lakes get the snot pounded out of them when word of a hot bite gets widespread.

Ya Matt it does make sense, thank you for all of the info. Every year i always fish the same lakes, it would be nice to try a new lake, but again i dont know it so why should i fish it, If i dont know anything about it i am leary about it. With Springs and Currents that are not visible to the eye, so thats why i always fish the same lake cuz i know all about it. Just wish that everyone else new nothing about it!

Quote:

Every year i always fish the same lakes, it would be nice to try a new lake, but again i dont know it so why should i fish it, If i dont know anything about it i am leary about it.

That's the beauty of this forum. you can get advice on lakes, spots to avoid, and meet up with other members to fish lakes new to you. make some new friends to boot!