• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to CO, some help please?

Allright guys, I just moved to Boulder from the MInnesota, looking to get some insight/help on fishing the Reservoirs and lakes out here. I brought my boat and am willing to do some driving. I guess I'll start with some questions I've been thinking of, any and all help appreciated.

I plan on mainly Walleye fishing, what bodies of waters should i plan on targeting for starters, is the Boulder res. worthwhile or a waste of time? Any trophy walleye fisheries out there, especially come pre-spawn?

Will I be able to fish soft water most of the winter, do the "warmwater" fisheries ever freeze enough to prohibit this? I'd assume some skim ice from time to time, anything really significant?

Where can I find good lake/res. maps, and anyone have advice on whther or not the lakemaster or navionics chip for the western U.S. are worthwhile?

And I guess lastly, will I need to run my boat motor a bit leaner due to the altitude, if so anyone know of a Yamaha dealer/mechanic in the Boulder/DEnver are that I could contact if I can't do it myself.

Thanks for the help, good luck with the winter fishing. I am sure I 'll be chiming in with more questions.

Standley Lake has some nice Eyes, but its closed for the season. Carter and Horsetooth are great and are boatable most of the year. Boyd is good sometimes as is Aurora, Chatfied and Cherry Creek. Traveling to Glendo or Boysen in Wyoming is always worth while. Big Mac in Nebraska(now little Mac) is very good. A good bet on hard water this year will be Bear Creek Lake (For Saugeyes). I have three props for my boat and change them accordingly for the elevation changes. Hope this helps,

Dan

Welcome to Colorado-

Dan gave you as good run down on walleye lakes. Add to those Nee Noshe and Nee Gronde out on the plains along with Pueblo and Trinidad. Pueblo usually stays basically ice free all winter.

If you need any help with your Yamaha I recommend Great Lakes Marine in Littleton.

Don't fish Pueblo res. (there are walleye's that should be at the legal limit this year). See don't go there because that's where I fish...

I didn't have to touch a thing on my boat, but its old and it kind of agree'd with the high altitiude. I do buy premium gas and don't over due it with the oil mixture.

I haven't tried the res. up near Denver and north but I want to get up there this spring/early summer. 2 years ago or maybe it was 3 years ago we wanted to try the res. out east but they sounded to low so we scaped that plan. We di try Nee Noo che sp>? (and res. nearby) last year and all we caught was small wipers.

for maps I just use the Rand McNally or whatever it is...to get there and the depth maps the bait shops sell, but I would like to invest in something better.

Have you been out at all? Finding things to do in Colorado?

cool.gif

Perry, what do you have for a boat?

Want to sell it? Like the post before... my boats getting old. I'm from Mn. also and have been here 11 years. Personally I wouldn't sell it. There are plenty of res. to boat in.

Mikinaak aka Paul cool.gif

I've got a Skeeter 1775T...I plan on giving it a year to see how much I put it to use. I've only been out to Denver for work and house hunting...I haven't been able to do any fishing. I may bring my fly fishing gear with me on my next trip and hit the South Platte. I'm looking at homes in the Littleton area, how is Chatfield for fishing?

Once I get moved, I would love to find some new fishing partners as well. I've heard the ice fishing up in the mountains can be pretty good for trout. My ice fishing gear is making the move as well...

Perry, bring the boat! The mild weather combined with the prospect of softwater year round is what attracted me out this way. FRom the little time I've spent here in CO I'd say there are plenty of fisheries available, making the boat a very worthwhile tool, if you spent a lot of time on the water back in MN, you'll want to have the skeeter out here.

I guess the biggest challenge I've been faced with is the reality that I am not going to be fishing the rainy river this spring. I've had a heck of a time up there the last couple of years, 20+ days fishing an amazing pre-spawn fishery like that will make any walleye nut go through some pretty bad withdrawls. Oh, well, lots of big fish, but never really saw anything over 30. Sounds like there is seriuos BIG fish potential out here, good luck with the move. FC