• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Indy 500 in storage

coffee

We have a '96 Indy 500 that has been in storage for a year and a half, what is suggested as far as getting it running goes? I would suspect most of the concern is with the fuel and carbs.

Yes, most concern is fuel and carbs.

I've helped 2 friends in the last couple weeks that have not ran their sleds in 4 years. One Polaris, one Arctic Cat. Got them running in no time.

If the gas in the tank was not treated, it needs to go. Poor fuel can do damage to high performance engines, like that 500.

I would take the carbs out and clean everything w/ carb cleaner. Disassemble the float bowls off the bottom of the carbs and start there. Inspect the floats, needle/seat, main jet is very important. Unscrew the main jet, inspect and clean.

Inspect for mice. They can fill an air box or other areas and you won't know it until it's too late.

New spark plugs would be a good idea.

Grease the suspension components on the front suspension and track suspension. There are grease zerks all over a snowmobile.

The list goes on.... grin.gif Good luck.