• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cordless depth finder

Question

Has anyone used one of those cordless depth finders made by Humminbird? I am looking for a portable depth finder to bring to the BWCA and thought they looked like a nice light-weight option.

7 answers to this question

i was thinking about using one of those hummingbirds for ice fishing. you could just drop it in the hole, walk around with your barley pop, and bug everyone else while checking you flasher watch. wink.gif

We'll if I had a choice of a depth finder, I'd have a flasher, instant real time info, that I cannot get a even a high quality LCD finder to display, tiem after time again, my lcd graph says there is no fish on the bottom, and time and time again the flasher, reveals the real truth, the lcd just isn't showing it. There are ways to mount the transducer for the Boundry water, I just use my ice kit and toss the transducer over the side of the boat. Heck Bet you could even shoot it right through the canoe, it worked in a small aluminum fishing boat for me. Not the easiest option, not the lightest option, but not the hardest or heavyist either, but I have no doubt it is the very best.

Otherwise I see no reason you're idea wouldn't work, something is better than nothing IMO, I just think the money is better spent elsewhere (even though a flasher would probably cost you a little bit more), and you'll get the most bang for your buck with a flasher hands down. As far as my choice for flashers goes, I'd take a marcum over a vex, after owning both of them, the marcum, after you're used to it is just better, but only by the slightest bit and really you can't go wrong with either brand. Just my .02

I have a vexilar FL-8 with an open water transducer. I have it set up with a clip to attach to the side of the canoe and it works fairly good. It is just so bulky to bring with. I am trying to cut down on the weight of the packs. Have any of you heard of someone trying one of the humminbird cordless units?

i dont think the hummingbird will work in a ice hole, I tried one at work in a large barrel and it gave false readings. which i think do to the sides of the barrel. barrel=1000 gallon water tank. But it works good on open water though

Humminbird says right on the package that the unit is not to be used for ice fishing. I dont know that it is made for the cold temperatures.

I have the smartcast. I have only used it once. It was a Nice calm day and I tested it on structure that I have been on several times before. It worked Fine. For the price of a BWCA use I don't think it can be beat.