• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Driving an ATV in a state forest during hunting season.

Ole #1

I've been reading the regs and the way it reads is that you have to stay on the approved trail with an atv unless:

1. You are constructing a deer stand.

2. Hauling out a deer.

If I'm going to put up some stands, it is legal to go off the trail. Has anyone ever been stopped by a CO for going off the trail in a atv to build a stand?

Nothing like waiting until the last minute to put up a stand?

I think the deer season regs(for those who are in posession of a deer license) start at the beginning of the deer season... It should be under the regular season rules right now which are? I am not sure of the legal answer.

State forest or not.. personaly, I would carry a portable in considering how soon the season is starting, and lock it up good. I wouldnt disturb the area that I planned on hunting opening day.

Currently, I believe, all trails (not designated for other uses)are open to ATV use unless posted closed. The exception for hunting allows an ATV user to travel off trail during certain months for hunting reasons.

From the ATV Regulation book

2005-2006 ATV Regulations

Hunting and Trapping Exceptions for:

• ATVs operated off trails, or on trails that that are not specifically designated for other uses; and

• ORVs and vehicles licensed for street or highway operation operated on trails that are not specifically designated for other uses.

ATVs and ORVs under the above conditions, may be used:

• October through December when hunting big game, transporting or installing hunting stands (must have a valid big game license in possession)

• September when retrieving big game (must have a valid big

game license in possession)

• When tending traps during open trapping season for protected furbearers (must have a valid trapping license in possession)

• When commercially trapping minnows (must have a valid

minnow dealer, private fish hatchery or aquatic farm license

in possession).

• Designated for other uses means trails that allow biking, horseback riding, etc.

• These exceptions do not apply to the Richard J. Dorer Forest.

• Some areas may be closed and not open for these activities. Look for a notice of intent to close a designated area.

So, yes, it's legal to go off trail. No, I've never been stopped. Keep in mind, during deer season, there are time restrictions in whihc you can use an ATV as well. Before shooting time, from 11am-2pm and after shooting time.

Thanks Dave and that guy. The reason I'm waiting until tomorrow to put up my stand is because it would have been stolen if I put it up earlier. Even if you chain them up well (you can't really do it with a ladder stand) people will use bolt cutters and take them.

The area we're putting up stands is a ways from the trail and it's much easier to carry and put up 3 or 4 stands with only 2 guys when you have an atv.

Thanks again,

Ole