• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pups First Big Hunt

jbdragon17

This weekend was my new Red Setter's (Kati) first full hunt. I had her out the past two weekends in a row, but this weekend was the big one. A group of friends and I have had a grouse hunt weekend for the past 10 years or so. I was little nervous about how Kati would do with so many other hunters around, but we split into smaller groups and she did a great job. She found birds EVERY time we went out for a walk…Even though we had terrible weather. She also had a few outstanding points on coveys staying solid after the shot. To top things off she seems to be a natural retriever. The last bird I shot she brought to my hand.

The only thing she didn’t do so well at keeping in range. She got out too far on several occasions. Seemed to be worse if there were other people with us. She stayed nice and close when it was just her and I. Anyone have suggestions for keeping her close?

I'm not sure if this will help but I'll throw it out there anyways...

One thing I've noticed with my brother's Shorthair that while walking into the wind, she'll stay in closer; walking with the wind she would range out a little further. So if it is at all possible, walk into the wind and see if that makes a difference.

We walked shelter belts a few weeks ago for pheasants and she would always stay on the down wind side of the groves.My brother was getting frustrated that she wouldn't be in the trees sniffing around...but after a bit we realized that just by being down wind was enough - she sniffed one out and jumped in took point.

Not sure that this will help...just throwing it out there. If all else fails...just throw on the shock collar shocked.gif

Got her from Berg Brothers Setters. I have been nicking her with the collar when she gets too far out. That helps some. I will also try paying more attention to the wind.

She is a great pup. Unfortunately she must have taken a stick in her mouth last weekend. I came home from work yesterday and her face was swollen so much it looked like her eye was going to pop out. I got her into the ER and found out she was infected behind her eye and back molar. Several hours and a lot of $$ later they drained her and got her going on some antibiotics... Uffdah.. What a night.

My brother has a red setter from scott berg also. He is a great dog in the house, and as soon as he hits the field it's all business. He has so much desire to hunt it is unreal. You may want to get a series of dog training DVD's called "The Perfect Start" and "The Perfect Finish" they teach you how to use the collar and check chord effectively (on big running dogs like Scott's setters) without taking out any of the drive in a dog. Sorry about your vet experience. I just went through a similar experience on sunday when my vizsla got spured in the eye by a pheasant. Not fun when they are part of your family

I got my dog from Scott when she was almost 7 months old. He was evaluating her for his program and chose to keep one of her sisters instead (she runs bigger). I don’t really think my dog (Kati) runs all that big, but just forgets she should stay closer when she starts getting birdie. She is also absolutely wonderful in the house. Sweetest dog I have ever come across.