• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

E-collar, how important is the page option?

stayman79

I'm planning on getting an e-collar for my lab. Not a real expensive one, around $200. All have nick and constant, some have tone or vibrate as well. In the opinion of guys who use them, how important is it to have that 3rd function? I'll be using it for training, pheasant hunting and keeping him in range on walks, up north, etc. I'm looking at Dogtra, Sportdog and Tritronics.

Thanks.

I just got my Tri-Tronics Sport 60 that has all three function (only 1 dog). I've never needed a collar in the past but the 8 month old pup is a machine and when he gets on scent the ears seem to shut down. I've known many people that have collars with the tone function and after you get them trained that the business end of collar (shock) is coming after the tone, they seem to pay attention to the tone. Sometimes it seems that they may not hear it and "stimulation" is needed to make them aware. Overall I think it is a good thing to have.

I chose Tri-tronics because that is what most of the people that I know have and they have been good collars for them over many years. One friend got a "cheaper" Sportdog last year and is having problems with it. Just one case however. I know nothing about Dogtra collars.

In my opinion the page feature on a e-collar is extremely useful. My pup is very much under control now that he fully understands all my voice commands and what noncompliance to those commands mean. Not responding to my voice or running out of control equals discomfort. The subtle vibration and hum of the pager reminds him the invisible checkcord connecting him to me is always intact.The page feature allows me to get his attention and compliance without ever needing to apply correction juice. In short it has been a long time since I have had to apply the juice...I can just simply get his attention and let him know I mean business by a short pager burst.

I've got a Sportdog (no problems at all) because it was recommended by my trainor. I have the tone feature and really like it. Most of the time, all it takes is the tone to bring him back because he knows a nick comes next. I think it will be a great feature for late season pheasants where yelling for your dog sends the birds to the next county.

Thanks guys! I went with the Sportdog model, with the lifetime warranty on parts, seems like you can't go wrong. It has all 3 features and enough range for a flusher. It should arrive in a few days. Thanks again for the advice and good luck hunting. I see a few ducky days in the forecast!

I think the page option on E collars is an absolute necessity. I use it a bit different though. I trained my lab to sit on the page just like he would on a whistle. It works wonders on long blind retrieves when the wind is strong and he cannot hear the whistle. I push the page and he immediately turns and sits waiting for my left or right command. I also use it for pheasant hunting. During the late season when you want to be quiet. Instead of blowing the whistle to send him into brush or whatever I use the page and then send him in with a hand signal. I did some extensive training with the page. The first page he will turn and sit. When he sits and I continue to page him he will lay down and put his head on the ground and not move. That works out great when we are hunting fields and he is bringing back a bird. Sometimes he is almost all the way back or in the decoys when we have more birds working. I just page him until he is laying completely flat in the decoys with his head down. I have done this several times when he has a bird in his mouth. It keeps the birds that are working from flaring off when a dog is running through the dekes. It works great for me.