• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

9 pointer from '04

deer.jpg

This is a nice buck I got last fall. That is my son Hunter holding the deer. It was his first time going out with me. We were sitting in a stand of large pines watching a huge scrape in mid-november. This bad boy came in behind us at about 10 yards! Talk about exciting! Hunter actually doe bleated and grunted him back in to bow range after he had walked off a little ways. The best part was the phone call on the cell phone to Grandpa...brought tears to my eyes!

wkeebobbler I can't believe nobody's responded to your post yet! What an awesome experience! Especially to share it with your son and to have him take an active role in it is fantastic! I have kids too and I can just imagine how thrilled they would be to be a part of something like that. Very nice buck by the way! How long were you sitting when the big boy came along? I just don't know how long my boys would sit still. grin.gif How much did that bad boy weigh in at?

~piker

That’s a great story... I remember sitting in the bottom of my dad's stand when I was young. I would always fall a sleep until mid morning. I would always line my eye's up with the holes in my dad's stand so I could still see if something walked by. My dad never shot any when I was there, but I sure took care of the squirrel population with a BB gun.

Here's the funny part to all this. It was a Sunday morning and I had just gotten back from an educational conference in Boston. It was November 13th prime rut time in Iowa. My wife wasn't feeling too likely to let me go hunting that afternoon, BUT.....we saw a huge buck in a little woodlot on our way home from church and I looked at her and said..."It's a sign from God...he wants me to go hunting!! It worked. She "let" me go and the rest is history.

We sat at this spot for about 2 hours before he came in. My son had been crying because "all we were doing was sitting". He thought we should be moving around more. That's when I decided he should start using the calls, gave him something to do and he felt more like a hunter. I was amazed at how good he made the calls sound!! I never got a weight on the deer but I would estimate it at 170 field dressed and probably a near 130 class pope and young buck. The size doesn't matter to me...I would have taken a spike just so my son could be in on it. What a fantastic experience!