• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brittany won't fetch birds

Heidi

My Brittany won't fetch birds. Will bring everything else back. She is 18 months old. Her trainer doesn't have the insides to force train fetching. Other than fetching, she does very well in the field. We hunt game farm birds often.

I'm in Blaine. Anybody know someone up here that trains

pointers to retrieve. I know I don't have the heart to do it either. Thanks

Quote:

We hunt game farm birds often.

I don't quite understand you here... you hunt game farm birds often, but your dog won't retrieve the birds? So, do you mean that your dog will only flush the birds? What happens? Does your dog go, smell it then walk away? Avoid the bird all together?

Anyway, you could do a couple things.. have your dog FF'd... which you already talked about... you could try attaching a wing from a bird to a training dummy and throw that around for a while and see what your dog thinks.. I've heard of people putting dead birds inside a panty hose stocking and using that to get the dog used to the smell / taste...

I will say that I'm just about done FF'ing my dog and have been extremely happy with the results.. it wasn't a lot of fun from time to time, but I'm 100% sure my dog's drive, enthusiasm and hold have at least doubled... if not more.

marine_man

Heidi, Al is shutting down his business and only doing a couple dogs at a time. Call Gary Westeberg at Blaine Kennels. Great guy and will get it done. If you want to try it yourself, I teach people how to do it. I too am full but have trained and taught hundreds of dogs/people to do it. It is more about timing than pain. We will start with the force hold and go from there. If interested email me. Good luck. The Dog