• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Evinrude reverse gear jammed

beer batter

Question

I have a '86 Evinrude (OMC) shift console directional/velocity lever that jams up when trying to shift into reverse. I popped open the gear case last fall. Inside this case is a combination of gears and levers that control the velocity and direction of the motor. I noticed that the plastic gear that allows the motor to go into reverse got a divot out of it so that when you try shifting into reverse, the lever gets stuck in this divot instead of sliding over the top of the gear.

I figured at the time, I was storing the boat away the following weekend and would worry about it come next Spring so I never looked into things any further. Question I have is can I purchase just an individual gear for these units or would I have to purchase the entire gear/shift setup? What is the proper name of this unit so that I can better describe to a parts dealer what I am looking for?

Thanks in advance.

1 answer to this question

Normally you want to replace gears as a set but the plastic gear you've described should be OK and purchased separately. A description of the part from a manual would help but if you take the serial number off the engine to the parts counter I'm sure they'll get you what you need. It wouldn't be the first time they've looked up a thingamajig. smile.gif