• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Surface Sunnies

deeky

I was out for a little last night before the rain hit. There were sunnies hitting the surface quite frequently, from inches of water to quite deep. But it wasn't the normal surfacing like when they are sipping bugs, they were almost jumping out of the water. I had my fly rod along, and threw a couple of surface patterns, a couple just under, and a deep one before the rain hit, but couldn't get any interest from them.

Were they really feeding? If so, on what? I've seen the same behavior before, but wasn't fishing. Thanks for the help.

Deeky

They problably were feeding. The problem is that they were most likely feeding on such small insects that you couldn't see them. Some of the fish I have seen lately have been hoarding these tiny insects. They are blackish in color and resemble a gnat. If you happen to catch a Sunfish sometime, check out the contents of their stomach and I'm sure that you will find them packed with these insects.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold