• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

mushrooms and fungi photos

I thought it might be a good time to start another thread for all the different interesting mushrooms that we come across during our time in the outdoors....some can be pretty neat!.....also a great place to "ID" some of the species...some that are "edible" some that are poisonous"...

"fly-agaric" (amanita)nice to look at.. beautiful coloration and hallucinogenic and just plain "deadly"(yes I posted this one earlier)

fly-agaricamanita.jpg

"bracket fungi"..a thousand varietys of these ...

bracketfungicopy.jpg

fungi on a old birch...

fungionbirch.jpg

"funnel cap".lots of varietys of these...

mushroom1.jpg

"comb tooth"...

DSCF3151-1.jpg

more " things that grow in the forest".....we see em everytime were in the woods..this time I stopped to "really" look at em...lol!(maybe I'm just taking more time to appreciate my surroundings as i've gotten older)...jonny

DSCF3567-1copy.jpg

bracket fungi:

DSCF3749-1copy.jpg

red belt:

DSCF3804copy.jpg

king bolete:

kingboletecopy.jpg

Jonny,

I like the one in the first post that looks like coral. If you are near that again, get a good close up I think it would be cool. Also I love the first one in the second post. Such Color on those--again I would love to see a closeup of those too.

Tom W

thanks Tom....I think those "comb tooth" coral like fungi have since disappeared no doubt......took it a few weeks back.......i'm finding it's better to take a half dozen or so of the same subject (some macros included) instead of just one (as i did here)..get em back to the computer and spend some time evaluating the shots ...I'm learning..jonny grin.gif

Redhorse-

Beautiful Pictures! I hope you post some more. I am very interested in identifying Minnesota Mushrooms. I will have to start posting fungi pics as well. Maybe you can help identify.

What are you favorite edible species that can be found in MN?

All the species I have tried, in order of preference:

Sulphur Mushroom

Oyster Mushroom

Hen of the Woods

Shaggy Parasol

King Bolete

Giant Puffball

I am very careful when identifying and consuming a mushroom I am not familiar with. I only eat a tiny portion, if I am at all in doubt.

Again thanks for posting your pics.

Thanks Snakeriver....you bet I'll be posting more...maybe not so much this fall anymore...but certainly next spring....I'm not really into eating these mushrooms and fungi as much as only photographing them ....I guess I'm more interested in the shapes and colors then anything else...through the years I did harvest a few for eating however and my favorite for picking (identification was a factor)was the "shaggy mane"..very easy to identify and was unique in that not many other poisonous or non poisonous look like the shaggy mane...plus...they just plain tasted good grin.gif fryed up with a mess of onions and butter over a nice steak!..... grin.gif....I have a "petersens field guide" for mushrooms and certainly will help you in identifying any mushrooms you may choose to post....even then there certainly is risk involved....one person may eat a certain species and another person could eat the very same mushroom and get an adverse reaction.......one of the reasons I choose not to eat em anymore......lol!...jonny