• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question for Goody, Saylorville fish

I would like to take my 3 boys out to Saylorville to let them catch some of the stripers, do you have a suggestion on where we can find them? Last year we did pretty well right in the marina, but that is all changed around,(for the better) I don't think I can get my boat back to the spillway with the water being as low as it is. I would like to take them out Sunday morning and let them catch some fish. If you have any tips for walleye out there we would love to find them as well. I haven't been very lucky with walleye this year out there. Any tips on either would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

First off the walleye question....good luck to ya on that one. I have logged many, many hours on that lake without a walleye to show for it over the years. I know some of the regulars that fish it every day (the old retired fellas) get some now and then, especially early in the mornings, but almost all eyes that are caught out there are accidentals while fishing for whites/wipers.

As far as the whites/wipers, it is a hit and miss thing. For example, I hit cherry glen tuesday with minimal luck but on wednesday me and my buddy boated 123 whites/wipers in a matter of a few hours...nonstop action, then on thursaday they were gone again and we did poorly there. Lots of moving until you find fish. Look for schools of baitfish and any surface activity then fish those pods. I have done well at Sandpiper, Cherry Glen, the mud flats (up near the mile long bridge), and the Oak Grove area. Last year about this time the dam started getting some good action. Last I heard, earlier this week the west side of the lake was starting to pick up on some of the points as well. It takes a lot of moving to find the fish, but right now they seem to be very willing once you find them. good luck!!!

goody

Thanks, thats what we have been doing, I was hoping the(wipers) were spending some time in an area. Last year we fished several weekends in a row in the marina and caught tons of wipers somewhere between 12 & 16 inches long and the kids had a blast. They were reeling them in almost every cast. I was hoping they were schooled up and easy to find. As far as walleye, the only ones we have caught out there were early in the morning with rattle traps around the point that comes out of the marina on the north side. Straight across the lake from the marina there is a little cove, just to the south of that there is a nice point that sometimes hold walleye. We have had our best luck following the channel, casting for lg mouth bass and pick some up that way on crankbaits. Over by the tire reef is usually a good area. I have caught pike in Saylorville in the spring, but I have no idea where they are after that. Thats about all I know on Saylorville, I think sometimes it is a tough lake to fish.

Yeah, it is a pretty tough lake. I have picked up decent pike randomly pulling cranks through the shallows, but that is it...not too many of them in there. I dont mess with it on the weekends, only fish early or evenings during the mid week. Interested to hear how you do!

goody

Walleye,

My favorite is Sandpiper. My friend and I did very well last Saturday early a.m. wading around the point to the west of the swimming beach. #3 & #4 Mepps minnow-spin seemed to be the lure of choice that morning...limited ripple on the water but they were close in....sometimes we casted behind us toward shore!

took my 2 boys, nephew and a friends' 2 kids in the afternoon. Wind from the south bringing in waves. As I was tying on lures in the parking lot, I could see the gulls going crazy to the east of the swimming beach. I'm happy to say that I was able to get all the young'ns to catch at least one wiper. RattleTraps of various colors and paddle tail jigs

Sunday early a.m. REALLY calm water: fish all out of reach as we saw some surface eruptions out in deeper water, though did manage a couple nice ones early, tho'

What I have told a couple of people (very close friends), when the wind is up....it's the closest thing you can get to surf-fishing in Iowa! grin.gif May have to search as Goody said, but if you locate them...hang on!