• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Feedbag

lars0926

Some of the crappies have been stratifying and I've been having luck pulling them out of shallow water again. The lake I fish has deep water and heavy shoreline structure. Been catching the crappies in the same reeds/lillies that I'm pulling pumkinseeds out of. I've noticed this especially where there is shallow water that has been shaded from the sun so the water stays slightly cooler. Believe it or not I've been catching them on CrappieTom's paddletails and Berkeley Power Nymphs about 4-1 vs. using crappie minnows. The size of fish is definately down from the size of the spring spawn, but it's nice to be able to catch more than a couple of crappies in one outing again.

Lars....

Your title is deceptive, but apt considering your success.

For those who are fishing water with overhanging wood or trees near or over shaded deep water, try this:

Raid Ma's pantyhose drawer. Cut the legs off a pair of them and put about a half pound of hamburger in each one, leaving the ends loose- don't tie them shut. When you get to a productive area, tie one of these in a limb in the over-hanging wood. Within a day or so flies will have laid enough eggs on this "feedbag" to thoroughly saturate it with maggots. These slimers have no legs and as their numbers increase they will not all be able to hang on and drop into the water.

Your fishing activity will increase signicantly for the next week or so at each of these sites, but when the meat is gone, go back and take the nylon out of the limb to use again or throw away when you get it home.

These are the "ultimate feedbag"!