• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Becker County To Host New ATV Trail

Dave

Becker County to host 70-mile ATV trail (2005-08-23)

Becker County has been selected to host a new 70-mile all-terrain vehicle/off-highway motorcycle (ATV/OHM) trail.

Becker was one of several counties that submitted proposals in response to a Department of Natural Resources (DNR) request for help in siting a new ATV/OHM trail pursuant to a 2003 Legislative directive. The new trail will be planned, designed and constructed on a mix of state and county-administered forest lands located in north and south Round Lake Townships in north-central Becker County. The trail should be completed and ready to ride by summer 2007.

The Becker County ATV/OHM trail system will provide a mix of easy, intermediate and more difficult trails for riders of various skill levels. Four rest areas with parking, vehicle off-loading ramps, rest rooms and picnic facilities are planned for various locations along the trail. This trail system will be located approximately 20 miles from Park Rapids, 25 miles from Detroit Lakes and about 250 miles from the Twin Cities metro area. A myriad of public and private campgrounds and resorts are located within a half-hour drive.

Counties play an important role in providing for off-highway vehicle recreation according to Ron Potter, the DNR's Off-Highway Vehicle Program supervisor.

He believes this ATV/OHM trail project provides "an excellent opportunity for DNR and county land managers to work together to provide a much needed recreational riding opportunity for Minnesota's fast-growing population of ATV and motorcycle trail riders."

Communities located along the trail are also expected to benefit from increased tourism and added local economic activity. For more information or for a copy of the Becker County trail proposal, contact Tim Browning at (218) 755-3969 or by e-mail at [email protected].

Dave, I am glad that there is a county out there willing to construct a new trail. It will be nice to have another option to ride. I am not sure that communities understand the positive economic impact of having these trails in there counties.

So have you been on the Soo Line much? Was down in the McGrath area two weeks ago for a little 60+ mile jaunt. Had my first railroad spike thru the tire.... That stopped the ride for the day.

Jim

Yes it is dusty. The wife and I just dress for it and expect to get dirty. Ususally take 2-3 day long rides on it. You can go a long ways in a day and explore many small towns.

I did limp the machine back to Denum Run (sp) Bar that is on the trail. Then I took my wifes machine back to sturgeon lake and picked up vehicle and trailer.

We ride General Andrews forest alot as my wife enjoys that alot.

Jim