• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

funny dog handling tip

leechlake

I was reading a dog training book last night and I ran into an interesting idea. This trainer from time to time has his human students pair up with another human and try to handle the person. For example a dummy is placed in a spot and the one human attempts, using a whistle, hand signals, etc to direct the other person to the dummy. Apparantly, it emphasizes that sometimes us people are the handling problem, the dog doesn't understand what we want.

So...next time your dog isn't doing what you want, get the wife out there and try to handle her to the dummy! Seriously, I think it's something to remember, if a person doesn't understand what you want them to do a dog won't either.

Forget about trying to direct the wife to a dummy, how about directing her to the liquor store for a case of cold beer!

Seriously, that is a good point. Its always good to look at your technique from a different point of view.

I bet if I used a new pair of shoes as opposed to a dummy, my wife could "line" the blind every time! grin.gif No handling involved..... smirk.gif

Great point though! I think of all the dogs I've judged at hunt tests that were dropped and a good portion of them were dropped due to handler error, but the handler walked off the line thinking the dog screwed up. In reality they over thought the situation and / or over corrected the dog and ended confusing the dog. I know I've done it hunting, I should have taken clues form the dog that he knew what he was doing without me screwing him up and "hacking" him around. I've had egg on my face more than once.......

Good Luck!

Ken