• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

goin small.....

CrappieJohn

I just picked up some ice fishing plastics on 1/100 ounce heads and am going to give this dinky stuff a go yet this week at the backwaters. I know the fish are there and something has got to spur them. The very small stuff is all that I haven't tried yet....soooo.

I got some new plastic as well and hope to make a dent in the bass population with it.

Has anyone been enjoying a crappie bite at all with all this heat? The crappies I had been seeing at the backwaters had all been smaller, but I did here of one person who found a few brutes last weekend.

Not much fishing here on my end in the last week or so. It's been a little "slow" for me lately grin.gif

From what I've heard it's a deep bite on the specs right now, at least for consistent larger sized fish. We are definitely in the Dog Days of summer smile.gif However, looks like we're going to see a change in weather patterns in the near future for much of the state, and even Midwest for that matter. Some rain and a drop in temps. Who knows, it might stabilize things for a while. Mid 70s is the prognosis for later this week and possibly the weekend...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Quote:

Has anyone been enjoying a crappie bite at all with all this heat?

When I was out on lake Sarah on saturday, the crappies were just nuts! Nothing really big, but lots of action in anywhere from 4-14 fow. At twilight, they were surfacing in large #'s. Funny thing is, usually the gills are going crazy, and you catch a handful of token craps, this time it was the exact opposite. Why do crappies surface anyway, due to a hatch of some kind?

man tom! now you're getting into the stuff i tend to use. ( but in this heat it hasn't done me much good either. )when the water starts to cool some then the micro stuff has been working, but it never hurts to try. my main rigs are a 1/80 oz flu-flu or a 1/80 jig tipped with a CJ&S wedgee or shrimpo plastic body. here the crappie bite has been in/on deep brush piles with minnows. in the evenings most of the surface bite has been gils. my $.02 grin.gif