• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

NEW ADULT DOG TO FAMILY

luckycrank

I HAVE RECENTLY EXCEPTED A NEW ENGLISH SETTER MALE APPROX. 2 YEARS OF AGE INTO TO THE FAMILY WITH ANOTHER 8 YEAR OLD ENGLISH SETTER. I RECIEVED THE DOG THROUGH A AQAINTANCE WHO I BELEIVE DIDNT HUNT IT.

MY QUESTION IS THIS? HOW DO I FIND OUT IF THE DOG IS GUN SHY OR HOW DO I SAFELY INTRO THE THE GUN SO I NO FOR SURE. QUESTION #2 HE SEEMS NO BE A LITTLE SHY OF FEATHERS I NOTICED THIS ONLY BECAUSE OF A WING ON THE STRING SESSION I JUST TRIED AS I DID WITH MY PUP WHEN IT WAS ONLY A FEW MONTHS OLD AND HE SEEM TO SPOOK FROM IT .

I WAS PLANING ON CATHING SOME PIGEONS THIS MORNING TO SEE HOW HE REACTS TO THEM.

I AM JUST CURIOUS TO KNOW WHY THE OWNER WAS WILLING TO PART WITH IT AND WILLING END ITS LIFE.

My lab was gun shy. What I did was start making loud crashes as offten as I could. When is was eating I would continuelessly drop a pan on the floor. Then when playing fetch I'd have someone banging on a pan or something loud. After she was used to that I had someone shooting low based 410 shells as I played fetch with her. I eventually worked up to 12 guage. but the key is do it when she is having fun... She will associate the loud noises with fun. She also didn't like feathers... I guess she just got used to them...

Take the dog out for a romp in the woods. Wait until the dog is about 50 yards off and fire a .22 blank in the opposite direction. Make sure to watch for the dogs response. If the dog doesn't freak out make sure to give it lots of praise. Keep repeating the process over and over until the dog is comfortable and then move closer and repeat. Don't try to get everything done in one day, that's how dogs get gun shy to begin with.

lucky,

A setter is a BIRD dog, so give him what he's made for...BIRDS, BIRDS, BIRDS! Catch some pigeons, pull some of the wing feathers, and toss it in the yard for him to chase after, carry around, whatever. The dog needs to build confidence and get bird crazy. That drive and desire will help override his fear of noises. I've always used live birds to introduce gunfire - flush a planted pigeon (or whatever bird) and let the dog chase while I fire a gun in the background. I always start out with a .22 and based on reaction, slowly move my way up to a 12ga.

The other suggestions above are also great "primers" for getting a dog used to loud noises.