• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha Kodiak Oil change help!

mnbwhntr

I'm trying to change the oil in my 04 Yamamha Kodiak 400 4X4....after doing so and reading the service manual. I'm not sure the oil is flowing to the filter. It says to open a valve and let a little oil flow out to verify that it is circulating properly but I still have not seen any flow? Any ideas as to why? Thanks!

I looked through the online owners manual and did not see the oil pressure bleed procedure you're explaining, I do remember doing that, and it stating it in the owners manual, on an older Big Bear. The first thing that comes to mind is, are you cracking loose the correct bleed bolt? There may be two oil bleed bolts; one on top of the oil filter area and another towards the top right side of the cylinder...I think confused.gif

On the older machines, it was just a small hex bolt in one of the oil passages up near the top of the cylinder, so that when loosened, you can visually check if oil is flowing. Maybe you're not cracking the bolt loose enough. The worse that could happen is losing more oil if you cracked it open more.

I assume you changed the oil filter. Did you have any problems putting on the oil filter?