• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heat and Bows?

Latley its been hotter than heck out here. My bow sits in the garage where i shoot. My sights were dead on and my only complaint was hitting other arrows. But yester day i flung that first arrow i thought it was a fluke. Nope. A second arrow confirmed tht my sights were seriously messed up and it felt as if my draw weight was lowered. I know for a fact that nobody was in there tampering with my stuff and i got to thinking how could this have happened? My shooting form is consistent cause i can stil put two or more arrows into a a very small group even with the messed up sights. I know tha sometimes heat can mess up scopes on rifles but can it do anything to bows and or arrows??? Any help would be appreciated!!!!!

I don't know what to say about this. The only way I think your sights would get messed up is. If the was a lot of heat to warp the mealt. I have my bows aways hanging up in my bow in all year. Its HOT in the summer and around 70F in my room the in winter. I have never heard or saw of the happing with bows. I would re-sight your bow and see if the problem happens again. If it does I would bring it to a pro shop and have it check out. I know sometimes it is just the vibation that losin the bolts. my 2 cents later good luck

It is most likely the string stretching on your bow due to heat. Different string materials will stretch more than others especially in warmer conditions. I use no stretch string materials made by BCY called 450+ and 452X. These materials are awesome and are unaffected by humidity and heat. Most other string materials especially those made of fast flight materials will stretch in heat which will cause you to lose poundage on your bow. If your string was made properly you should be able to bring your bow inside overnight to allow it to cool down. When it does cool down your string will shrink back to near its original position and you will get your poundage back again. I custom make my own strings as I shoot in a lot of target tournaments and rely heavily on the quality of the strings used.

WOW!!!!! first time i heard about this in three years of bowhunting. i was trying to re sight my bow in but screws on my sights stripped and broke the fiber op cables in the sights so now i need a new sight frown.gif i swear its always one thing or another. thanks for the answers!!!!! crazy.gif