• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sunflower - Mr. Heater brand

fireman182

Question

I did a search on the subject and didn't find the problem I'm having, so I thought I would post it and see what help I can get.

I light the sunflower and it runs great until it gets fully heated up and then it goes into a "jet engine" mode/mess. It gets real noisy and the back part of the metal gets red hot. So, I turn it off and let it cool down and it lights up just fine until it heats up all the way and goes into it's jet mode again.

What could be the problem and how do I fix it? I noticed that there is an adjustment at the base of the main tube w/holes in it and was wondering if this has anything to do with the amount of oxygen the unit is getting and if so, how do you go about adjusting it? Thanks in advance for all help!

9 answers to this question

It still does the same thing. It works fine for a longer period, but then starts to make the noise and heat up in back. The flame actually starts to burn in back of the round element of the heater, back in the recess area of the metal pan cover.

May be something wrong with the valve. I have the sunflower/cooker model with the stand so you can angle it. I had a hard time turning the knob on my valve. Also, when on the low setting, it would burn very rough and gas up the joint. They redesigned them this year. I bought a new one from their HSOforum for $12 shipping included. Pretty easy to change.

[This message has been edited by clam up (edited 01-22-2004).]

I think getting to much gas flow and your regulator needs adjustment. On the plastic dial that you adjust your heat from low to high there are two plastic tabs that hold the dial on. Take a small flathead screwdriver and unsnap them them and carefully remove the dial by pulling it off,paying close attention to how it is assembled. Inside there should be a plastic disk with a small brass insert with a small spring behind it. The brass insert has a hole for an Allen wrench which can turned inside the plastic fitting to adjust your gas flow. I'm not sure which way to turn it because its been some time since I did it but I think you turn it clockwise to decrease the flow but I could be wrong. Anyway turn it about a quarter turn and reassemble. Go outside and try to light it. If it is better,then you turned it the right way if not disassemble and turn it the other way fine tuning it till all your settings work properly. Don't do this inside please. Anyway, hope this works for you.

Sound to me like it's "back burning". meaning the flame has jumped back into the venturi channel. I'd check to make sure it is clean all the way. Does the flower still glow red when this is happening or does the front screen part cool down? Still would be the regulator, but due to not enough pressure the flame jumps back and burns closer to the orifice.

For some reason I thought this was a new Mr Heater. I started thinking this may be an older heater and it became dirty. What Insp Gadget mentioned could very well be the problem. Rust and road dirt on the sunflower may have something to do with the way it burns. You can access and clean the orifice out through the air mix holes with a small wire.

Thanks for all the info! I just went out and bought a new one. Darn these are spendy. Back burning sounds like what it is doing. I'll try and clean it out and use it as a back up if cleaning does help. I don't want to mess with the thing too much because I have seen what propane explosions can do and I don't want to be anywhere close to one if a simple cleaning doesn't work.