• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BIG ONE

BillP

Monday afternoon I cought by far the biggest sunfish I have ever seen. It was definately a bluegill but pale in color not a pretty fish at all. It was the size of a large crappy 13" or 14" but chunky like a bluegill. We do get hybreds but this appeared to be pure bluegill. I make a habit of releasing any excepionally large fish and did not have a camra. Now I am thinking that a fish that out of the ordinary was probibly a genetic freek and not capible of reproduction anyway so I should have kept it.

That's an incredible fish! A sunfish that goes 13-14 inches is very, very, very uncommon. I've heard of 12's here and there and I've heard (but not seen) about 13's (this is in Minnesota). Truly an impressive fish and it would be over 2 pounds, I don't even know what a fish that size would actually weigh...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

2+Lb for sure. I held it up to show some guys in a nearby boat with both hands, fingers spread, and it covered both hands. If it's capable of reproduction, it's probibly a good thing it was sort of ugly. If it had the clasic bluegill coleration, I don't think I could have resisted bringing it home for photos and maby mounting.

It wouldn't happen to have been real slimey would it? I'm not questioning your catch but when you said "Like a bluegill" it made me remember when I caught what I thought looked like a gill on Big Stone. It was at least 14-15 inches but it turned out to be a buffalo head. I hope I remembered the name correctly. It was a long time ago. The most impressive thing about it besides its size was how much slime it had on it. Congrats on the catch I hope you got a pic.

My youngest son caught a sunny last year 13 1/4" 2.8 pounds. 13 years old and already has a fish on the wall. I was 31 before I put one on the wall. It is huge, really fat, 1 3/4" thick. If my camera thingy would work, I'd show ya the pictures.

No photo. I live on the lake and sunfish are my fish of choise so I can say for sure it was a bluegill in that "pale white" coloration. The darker markings were not really the way they should have been. The best way I can describe it is that if I did have a photo it would look like the fish was "out of focus". Not a fish you would want to mount for the wall.