• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winthrop Harbor fishing report????

This is what we did on Sat 28th. You should do fine on your charter. They have been running out to deeper water and getting some kings and picking up coho as they go along as well. I did not go out to 150-200 FOW. Stayed closer due to time constrains. Here's my report. You can't perch fish off the charter - only for recreational fishing.

First official voyage of the year. All others were too rough to go out or when we did it was too rough to be fun. Fished out of "Suits Optional," which I just bought off a guy last year in August, leaving North Harbor slip on B dock around 7:15 am, buying gas and then setting lines by 8:00 AM. Me and first mate Liz (who is also my former fiancee) put out 6 lines. 2 dipsey, 1 down rigger, 3 yellow birds. Put out experimental drift sock off forward cleat to slow boat to 2.5ish MPH on GPS. Sometimes sped up to 2.9. Had 2 spoons, rest flies and 00 red dodger. Don't know the color of the spoons- I forget the color name right after I take em out of the package. Had some red, chart and green. Usual asst of flies. No big size flies - peanut or next size up. Coho Killer, green and blue, blue. Pretty much got a hit on everything at some point. My secret green squid did not produce today. Got fish everywhere from top to 50 ft down on rigger. MAX depth was about 70 FOW. Varied between 50 and 70 FOW pretty much in front of Great Lakes working back to Waukegan. Ended up with 6 in box. Lost one at boat because I need to go back to net school (gets interesting when you do the catching and netting yourself. Wife was driving). Lost a couple down below after the strike. 1 shaker we let go. Left the water by noon. Not fast and furious but steady. Best part is I christened my boat by catching some nice coho. To date, I had not fished salmon from Suits Optional. Now, there is no stopping me (except maybe for north east winds).

Tried Perch the day before with my buddy Captain Mel. We only caught 4 between us. It was not in the cards for us this time around.

Will try to go out for salmon and perch this week.

Hey CK, long time no talk. I was at montrose last week and they were getting perch off the pier up to 13-14 inches. WOW!!! I haven`t seen that before. I have heard that 16`s were coming in also. All the fish that were caught was on minnows, crawlers, or craws. I fished with small tubes and lures and only got one perch for my effort. Live bait was the ticket.

Bob

Yup, they are MONSTERS.

My buddie and I went out the other day and got a few that hit 15. That was in the boat off waukegan. I hope to troll soon for some more salmon. Also, perch season closes for July in IL. Get em while you can. I guess it is supposed to be to let them spawn, but I always find huge egg sacks in them in June - so ????

So many lakes, so little time...... My Mayor gig takes up some fishing days, so I have a little less to report than I would like right now. Just got back from Tower for a few days. Hit Burntside - got two small lakers which I smoked.

Capt