• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catching post spawn Crappies?

bassman186

Ok this is the time when the crappies move out after spawning. My question is I can still locate them in the shallow reed beds and other structure but cannot get them to even look at my bait. I threw plastics, beetle spins, even minnows, with no luck. How would one get these picky fish to bite again?

I would move away from that area and return at evening. Sometimes it might be more of a "timing thing" with these Crappies. They might also be doing their thing (spawning) and will not be interested till they are done. Try to slide off the shallow and slowly work a small jig tipped with a plastic and see if you can get some that way.

Good Luck,

Corey Bechtold

I'd have to second Corey's post. I would try at different times of the day to see if it's a timing thing. And also like Corey said, they might be holding on beds and are not in mood to feed. On a local lake, I've gone to the same spot on 4 seperate occasions in the last 6 days and the exact same crappie has been holding on a certain piece of structure. It hasn't moved (or atleast not from what I've seen) from that spot and nothing can be done to move it (by fishing means and without actually hitting it with something, etc). The crappies acting like this are usually very dark in color and can be the males on most occasions. Two excellent points by Corey.

And if all else fails, move to a new spot and see if you can locate an active pod of fish. Usually there are active fish nearby. Keep a mental note of the structure/surroundings where you saw the fish and see if you can duplicate that somewhere else on the lake. Think about similar spots and plot a plan of attack on a lake map or something. That spot will more than likely not be the only spot that is holding crappies right now.

Another option would be to downsize to a Ratso (ice fishing tackle). This strategy worked for me the other day when the fish were negative. Or else go with the slow-fall plastic approach. Just a few other choices...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

If you know for a fact that the fish have done the deed, these will be males guarding nests that you see along the shoreline. Take them off the nest and it gets trashed by sunfish, rough fish and crawdads.

The guarding males will be very defensive. I have seen them grab a bait , swim away with it 10 feet or so, drop it and then shoot back to the nest. If this is repeated that male will eventually just pound that bait into the bottom with his snout. It is impressive behavior.

The fanned out area of the nest will not account for the area containing the eggs, which is smaller by comparison and which is the reason the male will stay put in such a tiny area. After mating he will gently fan the eggs into a single heap to keep tabs on them. If you want to get that fish, you will indeed need to drop the jig right in his face- probably several times- before he will move even an inch to attack it.

The hen fish move off over deep water and suspend after voiding the eggs. Within a couple days of recoup they are good to go but they will be scattered loosely and can be a little hard to locate until warm weathersets a thermocline and they become depth specific.

I would try it early morning with a very very small jig and tail. They will want to try to protect there beds and eating is no option for them during the day they are all about protection.