• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ethical Bowfishing

So there is a small backwater lake near the river near my house. Currently as you know the water is WAY up. Well this lake is near a main highway and has got a lot of attention the past few days. It flooded an adjacent field which is loaded with carp......and huge buffalo. I was hanging out down there seeing if anyone was catching fish. A few younger guys showed up with bows and actually it was a lot of fun to watch them shoot and they were respectful of "picking up their mess".

Just a while ago I stopped buy and seen some guys way out in the field with waders and bows. Then I looked down at my feet and the ditch was lined with carp and buffalo.... flies buzzing around.

I got kind of a sick feeling, thinking what a waste. I know it's just carp and buffalo, but I don't know it just seemed weird seeing the dead fish just laying there. I have to admit though, it does look like a lot of fun, I just wish the fish would be utilized.

Quote:

Then I looked down at my feet and the ditch was lined with carp and buffalo.... flies buzzing around.

I got kind of a sick feeling, thinking what a waste. I know it's just carp and buffalo, but I don't know it just seemed weird seeing the dead fish just laying there. I have to admit though, it does look like a lot of fun, I just wish the fish would be utilized.

Not only would I say that practice is unethical but its down right illegal accroding to Minnesota DNR fishing regulations. I hate to see that happening no matter what the species is.

Andy

That's the big dilemma in bowfishing - "what to do with the fish?" It IS illegal to leave the fish on the bank, not to mention unethical. I smoke a lot of fish, and Buffalo and Gar are good eating fish but you can only eat so much. All my extra fish go for bear bait or into a manure compost that I use on my fields or sell. Obviously not everyone will have access to a manure pile, but as bowfishermen it is our responsibility to provide for fish disposal. Nothing gives bowfishing a bad name faster than piles of rotting fish left by shorelines and accesses.