• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

cooling system

smokercraft

Hello

Does the cooling system on a 99 polaris 500 sportsman have a fuse anywhere that if blown would keep my fan from starting? If not I assume checking fan motor is a good starting place, any other suggestions?

Thanks

Jim

Jim,

No fuse for just the fan. There is a thermal switch located in the bottom corner of the radiator. This switch turns the fan on and off when needed. I replaced one on a 2000 model. Start by checking the fan and its connections. I'd place a bet on the thermal switch being bad.

Been a few years since I did it. It does take some time. I don't recall taking the radiator itself out but the rack and shrouds around the radiator came off. Those are easy to get off and you can evaluate the situation better after those are removed.

Boilerguy's correct but, I can't remember for sure(I want to say 3)how many wires are on the fan. The thermal switch is just that, a switch, only interrupting one side of power. You'd have to apply power to two of the three wires on the fan connector, if I remember correctly.

Jim, I looked at my 2000 Sportsman just now. The thermal switch is on the bottom passenger side (right side when sitting on machine) behind a plastic cover. Can't see the fan connector to determine exactly how many wires are on it. You'll have to remmove the rack and the little top fender piece under the rack. You should get a good look at the fan connector from there.

Thanks Guys

Next time I get back to the lake I'll check into it,doesn't seem to bad to figure out whats wrong. I hope its the switch at $35 and not the fan at$125. Parts on these things are really a rip aren'they? I mean $125 for a small fan motor is ridiculous.

Jim

trace the 2 wires from that switch in the radiator back to the plug and jump those 2 wires out..if the fan comes on its the switch...should not need to remove the radiator, I changed one on a sporstman out in Utah last summer..did it on the trailer..just put something under the wheeler to catch the antifreeze when i pulled the switch out & then refilled the radiator

On my 98 the thermal switch is located on top in the middle of the raditor. The is only two wires going to it. I would make sure the anti-freeze is up to the right level if your thermal switch is located near the top. If it is not it will not turn the switch on. To get at it take the cover off that is inbetween the front fenders and under the head light. You should be able to see it. It will be located between the two hoses. I found out it is easer to work on it if you take the front rack off if you have one.

Good luck NUTTY