• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Early spring carp in lakes

A nice warm day without too much wind will often move carp into super shallow water where they appear to bask in the sunshine. Getting 'em to bite, however, can be real tricky yet. Coolest waters I've extracted carp from have ranged around the low 50s. Again, though, these fish often just sulk in water barely deep enough to cover their backs-- real spooky. Or, they'll hover just beneath the surface over deeper water. Best bet is to shoot a small midge emerger imitation directly in front of their snout. Cruising fish are often feeding fish, whereas sulkers usually aren't biters.

I know you're talking lakes, but if you live near a stream that harbors carp, I'd chase 'em there first. Then, once waters lake bays reach the upper 50s to low 60s, you can begin to expect consistent prespawn carping. Enjoy your fishing.

-a friend called Toad

Back in Iowa, my brother and I would designate an area called the "pit of woe". Last year, we targeted a particular stretch of stream and removed over 200 carp either by hook and line, bow and arrow, or a snorkel and a spear gun. We always threw the carcases in the same "pit" and they always disappeared, probably due to racoons. I'm not quite certain of the legality of the practice, so I wouldn't recommend it.

I've caught most of my carp while fishing the shallows for the big black slab crappies when the lake temp reaches about 58-60 degrees. I was fishing last week in the same spot with water temps at 50 and didn't see any carp whatsoever. laugh.gif