• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pups and new people

2 DA GILLS

I have a question about introducing a pup to new people. I have a 16 week old Griffon. I understand that he is a pup and pups get excited, but I am wondering if there is something I should be doing different.

I take him with me many places that I go and whenever we come across new people he gets very excited. I am happy that he is friendly towards strange people, but is there some way to work on keeping him more calm in these experiences? Last night we where at the park and two people approached and asked to pet him. For socialization sake, I said it was fine. He jumps on and tries to chew the hands of anyone new that approaches. I try restraining him, but he just struggles more. He has learned not to jump on or chew our hands (for the most part), but anyone new and he forgets everything he has learned.

Is it just a matter of introducing him to more people until it is not such an exciting event to see someone new? Any tips would be appreciated.

It is just a puppy now but you are right to try and get some sort of control and start laying the ground work for who is the boss. The young pups like to mouth all sorts of things and it seems hands are one of their favorites. I sometimes grab on to their tongue when they do this and hang on. Not too tight but it makes them think a little about what they are doing. Also looks really stupid. This is not done roughly or with any sort of scolding. Just gives them a new perspective. Very shortly they get bored with it and want to be lose. I then hold on a few more seconds and let them go when I am ready.

At 16 weeks I hope you have the pup enrolled in puppy school or are working on the basics. You can do it all yourself but sometime the socialozation around other pups is nice in a controlled environment.

good luck.

No puppy school at this time, but we are working on the basics. He does well in controlled environments, but throw new people in the mix or the kids running around and it is a different story. I guess it is what I should expect with a pup, too easily distracted. Although I will continue to expose him to these situations. Avoiding them will never teach him the expected behaivor.

I think my answer is to just have the same standards for behaivor that I have around the house and family. My biggest mistake is would probably be letting people continue to give him attention when he is acting inappropriately.