• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Finally, a wet dog

Ray Esboldt

Well, today was finally the day. I had my 7 month old dog up at my parents cabin near Pine City. A small pond had formed on their property due to plugged up culvert. Perfect water to introduce Diamond to water. I never really had a chance with her in the fall because I didn't want to expose her little body to the icy water.

It didn't go too well at first. She would fetch the dummies in the shallow water where she could touch, but wouldn't go any further. I half expected that. We finally had all the dummies floating in deeper water, so I had to hike back the cabin for waders. I wasn't going to leave $25 Dokken Dead Fowl trainers floating all spring.

I returned wearing waders and retrieved one. She just stood on shore barking at me. I walked in with it and we walked around the temporary pond to retrieve another one. Again, she barked and splashed around in the shallower water as I waded out. All of sudden the barking and splashing ceased and here comes a little black lab swimming past me to grab the dummy. After that, water retrieves were very enthusiastically performed. In fact, I had a tough time getting her out of the water.

I am one happy owner. Good dog, Diamond!

glad to hear that she likes water. I got my pup last may, she was not to keen on the water, now i have a hard time keeping her out. I love a water dog, but it takes a special person to love a wet dog.