• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

E- Collars?

Lynno62

I think Setterguy pretty much summed it up... I'll try to clarify as I still use an older model 200 TriTronics 2 dog system that is a little different than those he described.

There are plugs that push into the collar unit itself that will control the intensity of stimulation. As Setterguy stated they range from a one plug (very low) to a 5 plug (very high). I generally used a 2 or 3 plug on my dogs and have good results. I'd describe the stimulation as that of taking a rubber band and snapping it on your wrist. Uncomfortable but not damaging. On your transmitter you'd have a continuous button and a momentary button. This way you can manipulate how much correction you give the dog.

On my transmitter are three buttons. The upper red button is a "reserve high" which is also a continuous. It is used to correct a dog who is obviously disobeying a command or about to get into serious trouble (chasing game with a car coming) etc. the other two buttons control how much stimulation the dog gets ie: duration and intensity. On mine, the lower button is is momentary low (very low stimulation much like a static shock), the middle is momentary medium (it would equate to say a 2 or 3 plug) and pushing both the lower and middle at the same time gives a momentary high correction. The beauty of this is you will not burn your dog as each time you push the button you send out a pulse of correction, I use the reserve high only in isolated cases. The problem with my collar comes into forcing a dog with a collar, it is not the right collar to use for that as I do not have any way of adjusting the continuous stimulation. (but this is another topic).

As Setterguy stated, there are many brands and models out there with way more bells and whistles than I've used. I think a lot of them would be better suited for all around training with their rheostats to control intensity / duration etc. But I really like and got used to the old work horse Tri-tronics. I'm comfortable with mine and have used it over 5 of my dogs over the last 14 years. I keep saying I'm going to upgrade to a newer model with more features, but I still go back to my old collar. I will be starting a new dog in the near future and may upgrade at that point, but as for now, I'll keep using this one. In all honesty, I didn't use it at all this last fall as I need to get it into the collar clinic to get new batteries. But my dogs did fabulous without it, even in SoDak. It was a rare case where I would've corrected them with the collar even if I had one on them. I think once they are finished with a collar and understand they ALWAYS must obey, you'd be surprised how little you need to use it.

Good Luck!

Ken

I have a yellow lab that will be 6 in May. The first two seasons I joined a huntig preserve and grouse hunted. Every bird that got up got shot/shot at and the dog took after the bird. The third year I was in Iowa (no hens allowed) and the little S#!t chased everything. I got a Tritronic's and cured her instantly. My first command is to far then no with the shock. She stops and curls back, looks at me and I can give her a hand signal or a vocal command. The dog answers to anybody and everybody when you say to far. The current Tritronic's Sport will be replaced with new models in July, so I think you may want to wait until then if you can.

My $.02.

Brian

Who makes the collar that will give a "correction" if the dog gets a certain distance away or out of range? I think this would be great just for teaching the dog to stay close. I saw this on the internet one day.