• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Small jigs..... eyes or no eyes

Down to Earth

I dont think it matters whether you use an eye or not. To me it seems like when I'm out fishing sunfish with buddies, we will all have differnt jigs, and we will all catch fish. I do like to use glow sometimes when it gets dark out. I don't know if it helps, but it seems logical.

I use both. I'm sure there are situations when having a jig with an eye will help, but I've done well using both styles. I also know that some colors will make a difference in whether or not you have an eye on the jig. Different color eyes are the same way.

I'm sure Tom will lend a hand on this one...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

The eyes will become an issue if the fish are in a funk. Cold fronts during open water will either push fish deep, to heavier cover like trees and weeds, or both. These fish will be in either a neutral or a negative mood and will study a bait almost like they do under the ice. The eyes will help in this case.

Head color may or may not be at issue on any given day. The mood of the fish is my way of telling whether a particular color needs to be used....much like the plastic. And color preference can change very quickly. Many days I use nothing but an unpainted head. For a test to see whats working I almost always begin with the chartreuse, then purple then black. Orange and red are pretty much summer colors for me when I start to look in the deep water near the thermocline.