• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

my dog broke her leg

fishgetter

frown.gif my dog broke her leg on Sat. she jumped off a bridge about 15ft.up landed on rocks not good! My 3 year old watched and now won't sleep with out her in his room he is said that if she isn't there god will take her from him so sad.Any way my Q. is she hasn't ate yet just wondering if anyone would know if this is normal or should I take her back to the vet? Not sur what to do Help frown.gif

Thats a pretty severe injury, and I'm assuming that they had to administer some sort of drugs at the vet. I would guess her appetite will come back today or tomorrow. I bet that the drugs are making her stomach a little queasy. Maybe try some browned hamburger with rice tonight, if she doesn't respond maybe give the vet a call....there could be an infection if there was broken skin.

FishGetter... Sorry to hear about the accident! Hope she heals up nice and is ready for you for the season! If the vet gave her some anesthesia it could be some lingering effects from that, otherwise it could be plain discomfort. As long as she is drinking well, they can go quite a number of days without eating without much loss. If she isn't back to a regular eating pattern by tommorow, give the vet a call and see what he thinks. In the interim, coax her to eat with some canned food or jarred gravy mixed in. If she even eats a portion of what she normally does, she'll be fine as she is doing less activites I assume.

One thing I've done with all my kids when they were growing up was to bring them to the vet with me. I think the re-assurance they get from the vet helps them to better understand that the dog is O.K. I even let them play on that they were the ones that were going to "nurse" them back to health. wink.gif I think the interaction of them with the vet explaining what is going on vs. bringing a dog home in a cast, after surgery, or knocked out from anesthesia etc. is harder for us to explain. Just a thought for the future. It helped with all 4 of my kids. Plus they learn a little more about life, and I think it helps you to relate those experiences with the vet and your pooch to when you need to bring the little one to the Doc. Just remind them how brave your dog was and how he got all better! It makes it a little less scary for them.

Good Luck!

Ken

FG,When my kids were little, my dog, Blue, got sick to the point where she wouldn't eat. But she had the bad habit of begging at the table and the kids would feed her. Well, she crawled to the table when we were having chicken and begged so I gave her my boned out chicken, and then everyone else's and then hand fed her the gravy and potatos. From then on, every time we sat down to eat, we had a boiled chicken with rice for her to eat until she was strong enough to go back to regular food. We never did break that beautiful dog from begging at the table.

I'm so sorry to hear about the accident. The story about your little one being afraid that God would take the dog away put a tear in my eye!

About the dog's appettite - I would think that's pretty normal following something so traumatic. I would at least call the vet and get his/her perspective on the appettite - they might be able to recommend a few things to help your dog out in that department while on the road to recovery.

Good luck! I hope your buddy heals up fast.

Just want to thank all of you. And tonight it is boiled chicken for my bud. She did get some cottage cheese in her and loved it the vet said to try it. My son called and could hardly get it out that she ate something he was so happy. Hard to see the ones you love like this. Well thanks again for your help and it's nice to know I can turn to all of you for help and support. Any other advice would sure help..

Frank

Sorry to hear about the broken leg. Best wishes on your pup heeling up and being able to run around again! Glad he got something in his tummy, good luck with the boned out chicken! Maybe don't give it to him from the table grin.gif

"hooks"